• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance: Does stasis count as a 'pre-existing condition'?

AnnieElms

Mama Doe
I think I know the answer to this really, but I was wondering if Gut Stasis is deemed a pre-existing condition in the eyes of pet insurance companies...

To my mind, stasis is a symptom of something rather than a 'condition' as such, so I wouldn't really see how it could be considered a pre-existing condition and excluded from cover. I'm sure, however, that it is (although I can't find any list on any of the insurer's websites of all the 'conditions').

Just wondering, as I would 100% insure my buns if they would be covered for stasis treatment...although as both have had stasis episodes before I fear it would be excluded :?

Not really sure about this.....sorry:oops: I always think of Stasis as a result of an underlying cause, ie, snuffles, ec ,etc but I'm no expert and Insurance Companies tend to exclude all pre-existing conditions I think. Sorry not much help.:)

Not really sure about this.....sorry:oops: I always think of Stasis as a result of an underlying cause, ie, snuffles, ec,etc but I'm no expert and Insurance Companiestend to exclude all pre-exixting conditions I think. Sorry not much help.:)

Yes, exactly! Stasis isn't really an 'illness' in itself. You might have buns that are prone to stasis, but to my mind it's because of some other underlying condition that may or may not have been diagnosed.

I think I'm probably clutching at straws, as I'm 99% sure an insurance company wouldn't see it like that, but one of my buns went into stasis last night (thankfully she pulled out of it), and I don't know why. She isn't insured, and I'm wondering whether if I did insure her now, stasis would be covered. :?

I am with PetPlan and because Pie has previously had numerous stasis episodes they counted it as a 'ongoing condition' and she is therefore, not covered for stasis or blaot. Which is unfortunate as that is her main problem! :roll:

However if the rabbit you are insurinf has not had stasis before they will be covered. Best to give the insurance guys a ring to find out for sure. PetPlan were briliant with me with getting advice. :wave:
I think if they have had stasis quite a bit before it will be a no-no. However if it's just once you may be ok.

I am with PetPlan and because Pie has previously had numerous stasis episodes they counted it as a 'ongoing condition' and she is therefore, not covered for stasis or blaot. Which is unfortunate as that is her main problem! :roll:

However if the rabbit you are insurinf has not had stasis before they will be covered. Best to give the insurance guys a ring to find out for sure. PetPlan were briliant with me with getting advice. :wave:
I think if they have had stasis quite a bit before it will be a no-no. However if it's just once you may be ok.

Thomas had it once (was insured but not out of the 14 day introductory period :roll: ) and therefore wasn't covered as it was considered a previous issue. Although, that only stood for a year. After a year stasis free he would have been covered (I believe, never tested it).

Have the same problem now with Daisy. Will see what happens at the end of the year...

Thanks Pie, that's useful. Poppy has unfortunately had it several times before - once quite seriously :(, so I suspect we would not be covered.

My other bun gets quite frequent stasis, but he has underlying respiratory issues, which we know about, so it's possible his stasis could be due to that, so I'd be quite willing to accept that he wouldn't be covered.

It's just that with Poppy, although she has had stasis bouts before, it's never really been due to anything we have been able to diagnose (yet). I wondered whether in this case they could consider it a symptom of an as yet undiagnosed condition. But as I said, I know I am clutching at straws :)lol:), and have always been sure it wouldn't be covered. I was just curous what others thoughts and experience had been.

Btw, I am keeping a close eye on your moult/stasis thread, as Poppy is moulting heavily at the moment, so her stasis last night could have possibly been due to this.

Back