• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Herbal Treatments

coznpops

New Kit
Hi

Getting totally paranoid about flies now, having had Cozie with flystrike this weekend. He is going back to vet this eve for check over, but they have sold out of rearguard. He is stuck in his run indoors on his own at the mo and he has the hump, as normally he is free in the garden during the day. I am worried about letting him out because of the flies!

Have had a thought about Lavender oil. I know lavender repels flies (put it round top of bin to prevent the maggots) wondering if I put some lavender oil on his bottom would it help in preventing the flies, so I can let him out. I have googled and found that people use Lavender on rabbits for insect repellent amongst other things. I know it is fantastic antiseptic etc (I use it a lot.. huge lavender fan) just wondered what some of you think. You seem to all have so much knowledge between you. Thanks

I wouldn't use it neat. TBH personally I wouldn't apply oil on a rabbit at all. Could you use it in his hutch, maybe mixed with some water to spray over when you clean out, or in his litter tray when you change it?

To prevent flies one of the most important aspects is hygiene and cleanliness, so making sure his accommodation is clean and making sure his litter tray is cleaned every day.

Does he have a wet or dirty bottom at all, or wet eyes? As these will attract flies to land on them, and make him at higher risk.

Citronella oil is great for repelling flies but you mustnt put it on him, put it around the hutch where it is out of reach. I put a drop or two on to cotton wool and tie that to the outside of the hutch where he cant reach.

I also put a few drops of citronella oil and lavender oil in to water and spray that in a plant sprayer bottle around the outside of their hutch.

Grin on here is selling some citronella diffusers, they are for sale in the Items for Sale or Wanted Section.

You can also get sticky yellow fly traps that you can hang around the accommodation.

PS In the summer we do daily bum checks to check for any eggs, flies or maggots.

For high risk buns it may be wise to do this more often, say 2-3 times a day.

Hi

he has been to vet and been treated for flystrike this weekend. We always check his bum which is how we found the maggots early. There are no other underlying health problems with him as yet. I have kept him in overnight for 2 nights, along with his female companion..neither were too impressed. Didn't really want to let him out in case the flies got at him, but he looked so fed up.. I did. Going to check him ever 2 hours gfor maggots. I haven't got any rearguard and the vet has sold out, which is why I wondered about lavender. I did read on a website about people using lavender oil in some vinegar or on sugar given to rabbit orally for respiratory problems. It said there used as insect repellent, so thought I would throw it open to you guys for your thoughts.

Thanks for replying

Back