• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another poop question

Lindy

Young Bun
I'm hoping that someone can offer some advice here. I have two rescue buns, both in great health, eat the same diet, and have a huge space to run around. They have a constant supply of fresh hay, the same veggies each day, and the same Excel pellets. I've had Oscar 15 months, I reckon he is less than two years old. We've had Daphne seven months. Both lively buns.

Lately Oscar has been doing these weird poops, as though each poop is joined by a piece of string, and they come out in a long line. This only happens occasionally, maybe once a week, and he also does a lot of normal poops.

Is there any cause for concern, or is this normal? He does get a bit windy :oops:

As I say, he runs around and is very active, loves his food, it's just these weird string like poops occasionally.

Thats actually brilliant that its happening :thumb:

When a rabbit moults, it ingests a LOT of its own fur.

The fact its coming out in their poops is EXCELLENT and means the rabbits gut is processing things properly and it comes out in the fecal matter :)

Your buns are doing everything right :D

Hi!
Im guessing - as no pics - that the long thread like poops are normal ones but joined together? If so - then its prob fur thats joining them...they digest fur from grooming themselves and each other...brushing them does help as its when they moult that this can be a problem. Some buns need alot more grooming/brushing from us humans than others!:)
if your buns find this distressing...do it slowly and a little each day....be careful as their skin is very delicate and another way is to wet your hands and to give them a rub all over...loads of fur will stick to your hands....I find this works along side brushing quite well.

If your buns tend to be gassy then perhaps cut out or lesson gassy foods ...wild foods more so than bought veges is better....(check out the 2011 forage thread) ..gassy foods include broccoli and brussel sprouts...may be a few more but I find my buns love those..but get runny bums...so they dont get them at all now.

Hope this helps....and hopefully some more folks will add advice too!:D

The fact its coming out in their poops is EXCELLENT and means the rabbits gut is processing things properly and it comes out in the fecal matter :)

I thought it was also good that it was coming out...but also thought to groom them may help it not going in? Have I got this wrong...
:?:):)

Oh thank you, all, I feel such a twit! I had no idea this was the reason. I must say Oscar isn't good at moulting, I do need to help. He looks so scruffy and does need a helping hand :D Daphne moults beautifully, a nice tidy lady.

Thank you again, oh wise ones ;)

I thought it was also good that it was coming out...but also thought to groom them may help it not going in? Have I got this wrong...
:?:):)

No. not at all :D

Grooming will help with the amount of fur, so it'll minimise the amount the gut has to pass, which obviously takes up precious nomming processing :lol: :D

Sums up what I was actually going to say!
Although doesn't look nice, this is in fact what you want to happen during a moult! :D

Chelle, I forgot to say. Thank you for the tip about the broccoli. I have noticed that Oscar leaves broccoli until last, so maybe it isn't good for his very delicate tum. I'll cut that out, see if the wind decreases :oops:

I bring him in for a snuggle, then when he goes out, open the window and squirt the air fresh. But I do love him :love:

Back