• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pesky Cat in our garden

gwaterhouse

Wise Old Thumper
The past few weeks there has been a cat that sits on top of our shed when the rabbits are out, we scare it away, in case it is after the rabbits, but it keeps coming back.

Firstly, is it likely to harm the rabbits?

Secondly, if it is likely to harm the rabbits, how can we get it to stay away?

I'd try to discourage it on the offchance, but it would probably leave the rabbits alone.
You can buy cat repellent, and I think some plants are meant to repel them but they don't always work

It depends on the cat in question and also how confident your rabbits are. Skye is scared of Alfie because he bites her on the bum :lol: but she would happily chase Bubbles if she got the chance. :roll:

If the rabbits are free ranging unsupervised, then it wouldn't be wise to let that continue with a cat visiting the garden just in case. You can try things to discourage it, but nothing is 100%.

A light squirt with a water gun is usually enough to see them off for a while and eventually it may get the message. Prikka strips along the fence will help stop it gaining entry (unless there is a way of it getting onto your shed without using the fence of course).

You can get a sonic cat repellant but they don't always work as our next door neighbours have one and all the neighbourhood cats still traipse through their garden.

the rabbits aren't free ranging they are in a run, but half of the run is not covered.

we keep an eye on them so they're not unattended, but might invest in a super soaker so i can squirt it at the cat.

also gives me an excuse to buy a super soaker! :lol:

i'm pretty sure the buns would be okay, but better to be safe than sorry!

Its unlikely, most cats aren't interested in rabbits.

If he's a stray he probably won't stick around for long unless one of your neighbors are feeding him. he'll move on to where he can find food/where people will feed him.

If it were me I'd want to make sure he/she is fixed so I'd trap him and take him to a place that does the Trap, Neuter, Release program and then try to find him a home if he isn't too skittish. Poor kitty :(

Its unlikely, most cats aren't interested in rabbits.

If he's a stray he probably won't stick around for long unless one of your neighbors are feeding him. he'll move on to where he can find food/where people will feed him.

If it were me I'd want to make sure he/she is fixed so I'd trap him and take him to a place that does the Trap, Neuter, Release program and then try to find him a home if he isn't too skittish. Poor kitty :(

I think he has a collar on, otherwise i'd get my catapult out ;) :lol:

but yeah, i'll double check next time i see him/her for the collar at least.

also gives me an excuse to buy a super soaker! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

You probably already know but a collar won't necessarily mean he's a stray. ;) Skye had a breakaway collar but lost it so many times that she now doesn't have one at all. :oops:

We have a few cats around here that wouldn't take a blind bit of notice of the bunnies, but there are also a few that definitely can't be trusted, so I don't think it's wise to make any assumptions about whether the cat would take an interest (but likewise, don't panic that the bunnies are doomed ;) :lol:)

Most cats are just curious. I have three of my own and they just live alongside my buns and pig. We also have a lot of neighbouring cats who like to sit on the sheds and watch them too.

Back