• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit may have mites or lice. Can anyone help?

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi. My brother's rabbit Dinky has got some white dandruff like stuff on her back. We noticed it last week and have been using some Xenex ultra spot on on the area with fur loss.

What i want to know is what do mites and lice look like. Does anyone know where i can see any pictures?

I think we may need to go to the vets with her but it appears that after using the xenex spot on that it hasn't gotten any worse. It is only a week into the 2 weeks so should we wait until next week to see if it changes?

I found some old enex ultra spot on the other day with her weight marked on it and i think she had mites or lice 2 years ago and we treated it with that. I think the extra ones we had were for all the other rabbits if they showed any signs of it but they never did.

It sounds like mites, which Xenex Ultra won't help because it doesn't contain the right chemical. You need a spot on which contains Ivermectin or Selamectin. Your vet will be able to supply a suitable treatment, alternatively Pets at Home or online stores like VetUk sell Ivermectin.

Sounds like mites, you can't see them unless under a microscope, the vets sell effctive treatment drops.

Ok thanks. I've heard of ivermectin somewhere before, on a leaflet i think was something called xeno 450? is that what you meant?

I've not noticed ivermectin in pets at home so i am confused.

Back