• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homemade Hutch Covers

Dustyrabbit

Warren Veteran
Has anyone made their own hutch cover?

I am thinking of giving it a go (there have been complaints that the garden looks like "Paddy's yard" over the winter with sheets of plastic, picnic mats and blankets weighed down with bricks!) so a tidier option is in order.

I'm thinking of using a good Duct Tape to join Tarps and clear plastic (maybe shower curtain) roll up "windows" and "doors".

Anyone got any good ideas?

I have used the silver backed loft insulation and tarps for covers.

Here's what mine looks like at the moment. The foster hutch has an old table cover on it at the moment because its tarp is being used elsewhere. It'll be covered properly by winter and the great thing is the tarp keeps the ground dry round about the hutches and keeps me dry when cleaning out!

Tarp2.JPG

Tarp.JPG

I have made many for the Hopper Haven hutches.

I prefer to use a good thick green tarpaulin which I get off Ebay or from the local hardware shop, and I machine sew them.
They're really easy. You just need to measure each section (back, sides, roof and front) and cut them 2" wider than measurement, stitch them together, and sew on velcro to hold the front down in place.
It works out much cheaper than buying them - I think last year I made six covers 6ft x 6ft x 2.5ft for around £40.

My dad cover the back and sides with roofing felt, as well as the roof, which protects all those places.

He then creates roll down and roll up plastics from the front of the hutches. Looks very tidy and very nice, I think.

The runs that are not walkin have removable corrugated plastic and the walk in runs obviously have corrugated plastic on the top.

Thanks Guys, some great ideas here.

I can sew them no trouble but I was concerned that the sewing holes would cause them to leak.

The "hutch" that needs protection is a Chicken Coop style one, so lots of exposed wire, it has a corrolux back and is against a fence, it also has a raised marine ply base and corrolux roof and an extension which about doubles it's size. The extention has a roof and base too but is all wire sides and end so I find heavy rain splashes up and inside.

I find I need to cover all areas at night, summer and winter as the occassional visit by Mr Fox, although he can't get in, due to my extra puppy pen wire defences and me with the swing ball bat!, causes Fizz some upset, understandably.

Back