• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

a poop question - help please

amysb86

Alpha Buck
hey i need some advice about my mummy rabbits (chloe) droppping when she is out running about the house she does nice neat solid poops which i can pick up no probs but in her cage i keep finding squidy poops - they are def hers and not the babies as their poop is tiny and i can tell the difference, i give her lots if hay her rabbit food twice a day as the babies pinch it and some greens each evening am i do something wrong?

The soft droppings are are also known as Caecals or Cecotropes, there are alots of different spellings for it used www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-droppings.asp

It is usually as a result of a high carbohydrate or protein diet where rabbits get too little hay and too much dried food. Usually this can be got under control by decreasing the amount of dried food and increasing the amount of hay in the diet. Rabbits of all ages need to eat about the same size of their own body in hay, this improves gut and dental condition.

A normal healthy rabbit needs minimal pellets with many at their optimum having about an egg cup a day each. Some rabbits need a small amount more so it is important to monitor their weight to find the optimum amount.

If cutting back on pellets does not reduce the amounts of cecals being left you can change the feed you use to one which is high in fibre and is in excess of 19 g fibre.

If this does not help seek vetinary advise

Back