• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No longer needed.

casu consulto

Mama Doe
Hazel was taken to the vets on Friday morning because she was not eating and was looking uncomfortable. She came home that evening having been given meds and fluids, and we were told she had been eating some hay. On her return home she still did not seem at all 'right' to me, but we had been given metacam, gut stimulant type things and told to keep an eye out for poo. At this point she was reluctant to move and wanted to sit in corners - in her hutch she was hiding away in the bed compartment.

Yesterday I spent much of the day collecting bramble leaves and chivvying her around the hall. She seemed to want to eat brambles, basil leaves and the occasional piece of corriander only. She produced perhaps 30+ pieces of poo when hopping around the hall throughout the day -- initially these were dark, but they became golden coloured but few were 'normal' looking. She would only eat when she was being made to move around. Most the time she'll pick up food and just hold it. She'll sit for as long as she is allowed to with a piece of food clamped in her jaws. She chews it slowly but seems reluctant to swallow.

Today she's much more lively -- she's running and moving around a lot more and not pressing her tummy to the floor much anymore. In her hutch she's running off and hiding if I go out there (I am now mean medicine lady) but coming back out to sit at the front the rest of the time. She's become quite stroppy again and can fight her way out of my arms with no sign of weakness. But she still will not eat by herself - she still picks things up and just 'holds' them.

The vet - who is a rabbit savvy one, recommended on here! - took a look at her teeth and said they looked perfectly fine. She's never shown any sign of dental problems before but I am by no means using that to rule the possibility out... I don't understand why she won't eat. The vets openes at 11 today, and she will be going back...! I'm just looking for other opinions I guess. :(

eta.
Just returned from an emergency trip to the vets. Hazel was put to sleep. Thank you very much to the one person that replied.

Last edited:
I am by no means an expert but when my two had stasis they took a while to get back to eating normally (and one of the inparticular is normally v.greedy). Perhaos its the same gor Hazel, it may be a little while until her system is completely bak to normal. The fact that she's pooing is a good sign because at least something is going through.

I hope she is 100% herself soon.

I'm trying to tell myself to be patient with things getting back to 'normal' with her. In the past, my bunnies have only ever had stasis episodes lasting 1-2 days at most, so this is totally different to me. And I lost my special boy to this in June so I'm feeling particularly nervy and not at all confident.

I'm just so worried incase it has something to do with her teeth -- if it is the tooth roots, for example, ahd she needs an x-ray. I don't want to let her down and let her grow weak so that a GA might be too much for her. :( And at the moment I'm encouraging her to move about/trying to tempt her with food every couple of hours but I work full time so this won't be possible during the week.

Back