• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 ec bunnies together?

missFloppyears

Warren Veteran
excuse my idiocity here but im going to say this and hope i dont sound dim..

could 2 ec carrier bunnies live together happily or would bonding them cause them both stress and to worsen?

It depends a lot on what was the status of the EC bunnies.

If they had had confirmed EC in the past and were deemed to be healthy at the moment, though as you say carriers, then bonding shouldn't be too much stress, as about 50% of rabbits are EC carriers anyway. If I had a rabbit that previously had active EC I would get a vet to give them the once over first and give them 9 days panacur prior to bonding. If the EC was known to be active there is no way I'd risk it.

I think it depends on the rabbits, the situation of the 'EC', if it's correctly diagnosed, etc.

Given most bunnies are EC carriers, if they are just carrying then it's not different from bonding any other rabbit who may or may not be a carrier of something else (i.e. a bunny who has shown no symptoms of a problem).

If a rabbit is unwell then each situation has to be taken at an individual level.

well i am not 100% pop was E.C after reading up on it, just nosing round possibilities, of adopting a disabled bunny with a headtilt or other disability for poppet, as she is now staying an indoor bunny :lol:
just not sure how to go about it :/

well i am not 100% pop was E.C after reading up on it, just nosing round possibilities, of adopting a disabled bunny with a headtilt or other disability for poppet, as she is now staying an indoor bunny :lol:

If you're going to take on a disabled or head tilt bunny make sure that you have a lot of funds available (because costs and tests and suchlike can run up into hundreds plus, very quickly) and also make sure you have enough knowledge to deal with it, and a vet who is superb (in my opinion it's not fair to bring a rabbit with a known condition into a home unless that home has good medical back up to deal with the problems when they arise).

A bunny with head tilt doesn't necessarily need a disabled friend though. Summer and Tilly were exceptionally close and Tilly had head tilt and Summer was physically able, but ailing with cancer. Tilly was fiercely independent but needed Summer when she was physically struggling, whereas Summer needed company and adoration, all the time.

This was how Tilly used to sleep (i.e. with her neck draped across the back of Summer). I think, if I had a bunny with head tilt, I would be looking for a rabbit s/he could do that with because that seemed to be important for helping her neck relax.

20090425_168-1.jpg

If you are considering adopting a head tilt bunny (possibly EC) not only would you definately need to have lots of funds avalable, you would also have to remember that many insurance companies would not cover any illness that bunny may get that could be connected to EC (if you knew about it at the time of insuring). When we first had Basil (who has sadly died) one particular company ruled out most medical conditions (just in case they were EC related) which made the possibility of insuring him with that particular company, pointless. Basil's vet bills often ran into several hundreds of pounds, so it it worth take this into consideration.:)

Last edited:
Back