• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OK, So is it Just me ?

I've never smelt them, wouldn't even know where they are!

Why were you sniffing them? :lol::lol:

Oh dear, I hope not. I would never touch coffee again. :shock:

Personally, I notice the scent is mostly skunk-like...unless they eat something exotic, like an herb they're not used to having...then whatever that smell is gets taken on by the scent glands.

I should get them to eat lavender.:lol:

How come you all know so much about scent glands??? Am I supposed to be knowledgeable about them???

I'm confused :?

Well, I've found that not all bunnies seem to need these glands cleaned, but I have two that desperately need it at least once a month. It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.:roll:
I was told by my vet that the bun should do this himself and if you begin doing this cleaning for him, you'll have to keep doing it. Personally I've seen my rabbits do some impressive contortions, but I don't think they can really reach these!:(
I took care of Mimzy's once and then didn't need to do it again for quite a few months, each time I checked then they were still clean...whereas once I began with my lionhead, she regularly gets stinky now. And my mini-rex could probably stand to have them looked at once a week.
What got me was finding out even my dog and my cat need theirs tended...yuck!:shock: They are a good deal more difficult to even locate than my bunnies'.

How come you all know so much about scent glands??? Am I supposed to be knowledgeable about them???

I'm confused :?

:lol::lol:

They are little pockets to the left and right of their vent. They can become full scab like dry smelly stuff that some people choose to remove. I only have one bun who needs help and I use cotton buds to scoop the messy stuff out. It's a lovely job but someone's got to do it!

:lol::lol:

They are little pockets to the left and right of their vent. They can become full scab like dry smelly stuff that some people choose to remove. I only have one bun who needs help and I use cotton buds to scoop the messy stuff out. It's a lovely job but someone's got to do it!

I agree.......a lovely job!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Estelle is not impressed when I have to do hers..................she is very happy once done though. I think when it is very dry it can be rather uncomfortable for her. Bless her.:love::love:

Can someone show me what dirty scent glands look like? And explain when/why they should be cleaned?

Like *lily* I am also very confuseed!

Oh God.

I think Smudge would eat me if I tried doing that to him..

Should really check though.

P.S Is that bunny tranced? she awful...still?

Back