• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OK, I need some help! Thank you Bunny Buddy x

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
How do you get a quarter of a frusemide tablet into a big strong rabbit who doesn't like being handled and wont eat any treats??

Any suggestions/tips greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Could you powder it, mix with water to make a paste, and syringe it in? Towels securely wrapped round his legs at the same time? :wave:

(Assuming its effectiveness wouldn't be compromised by either crushing or adding to water...:?)

Could you powder it, mix with water to make a paste, and syringe it in? Towels securely wrapped round his legs at the same time? :wave:

(Assuming its effectiveness wouldn't be compromised by either crushing or adding to water...:?)

Tried that, it seemed to separate in the syringe so there was most of the powder left in the syringe nozzle :? :(

Tried that, it seemed to separate in the syringe so there was most of the powder left in the syringe nozzle :? :(

Hmm..could you cut the end off the nozzle? I do that for critical care. You'd have to make it thick enough so that it doesn't fall out though, or keep it tilted...:?

Maybe try mixing the tablet solution with something more viscose, like baby food or mashed up soaked pellets then syringing it in? I had the same problem with Robert when he was with us. I think I cut the nozzle really short, but you have to be very careful with the plunger bit on the end of the bit you push (it can come off, if I remember correctly)!

What does he like eating? Does he handfeed?

No , he doesn't. Tried him with a bowl of mashed banana and he just stared at it :roll: Wont take any of the usual treats we hide meds in!

maybe try soaked pellets tomorrow and syringe that in, thanks. I have got through rather a lot of tablets today!

Maybe try mixing the tablet solution with something more viscose, like baby food or mashed up soaked pellets then syringing it in? I had the same problem with Robert when he was with us. I think I cut the nozzle really short, but you have to be very careful with the plunger bit on the end of the bit you push (it can come off, if I remember correctly)!

Yes, you're right - good point!

I'm probably no help at all but just in case I am ... Artie has his frusemide in a piece of apple. I cut a slit in the apple and push the 1/2 tablet in with the point of a sharp knife. I think it disolves inside the piece of apple after a while. It can't make it taste bad as he never refuses his apple.

I'm probably no help at all but just in case I am ... Artie has his frusemide in a piece of apple. I cut a slit in the apple and push the 1/2 tablet in with the point of a sharp knife. I think it disolves inside the piece of apple after a while. It can't make it taste bad as he never refuses his apple.

OOh will definitely try that one, bought a bag of apples to make bunny biscuits today :D:D

Thank you :wave:

When you crush up tablets, the powder has to be very fine like icing sugar.
Also you need a bit of KY gel in the water to keep the powder in suspension.
Frusemide used to come in liquid form in ampoules for injection.
Simplest thing is to ask the vet for ampoules & dilute down to the correct strength in a medicine bottle.

Why not just ask for him to have it via injection ?

Much less stressful, which can only be a benefit for a Rabbit with a possible heart problem :)

There is a syrup version available too :wave: Personally I wuld ask if the vet would let you have the injectable form though xx

Bunny Buddy you are a star :D :love:

Apple worked a treat :D:D No stress involved and he thought he was getting something special :D:D:D:D:D

Bunny Buddy you are a star :D :love:

Apple worked a treat :D:D No stress involved and he thought he was getting something special :D:D:D:D:D

:oops::oops: Aw, Thank you. So glad it worked. It took a fair bit of trial and error for me and Artie to get it right. All the upstairs bunnies get a piece of apple every evening - just Artie's has a little extra :lol::lol: ... I wish it was as easy getting Baytril into him :roll:

Back