• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible Myxi Please Help

I recently adopted a bunnie from the RSPCA (Toffee) and we are getting on fine (he is not to keen on being picked up, he will run but once you have him he snuggles). On Gumtree earlier this week there was an add for a free bunnie so I replied and when to collect her that day. When I asked the previous owner why she was getting rid of Bella the Bunnie (now Cookie) she said she got the rabbit for her daughter last year and she lost intrest in her and has since brought her daughter 2 Guinea Pigs and a dog so Cookie had not had much handling for awhile. I asked for copies of her injection certificates which she did not have so I contacted her vets, last and only injection was for Myxi in September 2010. I booked her in at a local vets for a myxi infection this morning and the vet gave her a check up. Her teeth are over grown and she had a temperature so was not able to have the injection, the vet said she could have Myxi and to go back Monday. She does not have a runny nose or eyes just a temperature. I want the have the blood test done to see if she does have it (£106.50 is expensive but I would rather know) is the test correct or a waste of money???

Contacted the old owner to basically neglected her and she said to give her back and she would 'deal with it' but I dont believe she will care for her so I told her NO. I dread to think how why care for their snake, dog and guinea pigs :(

Any help you could give me would be great. I only got my first rabbit Toffee at few weeks ago so this is all new to me and worrying :( xxx :cry:

There would be no point in blood testing as it would not change anything if she does have Myxi.

What treatment has she been given and have you kept her quarantined from your other Rabbit ?

Firstly: keep her away frm the other rabbit in another room

But secondly - with the no symptoms other than a raised temperature I think it is very odd the vet would have diagnosed possible myxi - a high temperature could be a million things (stress for example!!!)

If she does not develop any signs of myxi (swollen genitals, swollen nose, runny eyes etc) within the next 7-10 days then I would suggest you find a different vet (who is less prone to wasting your money) and start over again!!

PS in fact some vets would suggest that having a myxi jab done at an early stage of myxi is not a problem anyway - but that is a matter of debate.

Cookie is in an indoor cage in my front room while Toffee is outside in his hutch. I am taking her back to the vet on Monday and if her temperature has gone down she can have the injection then. I asked the vet if I can give my other rabbit or guinea pig myxi from holding her and he assured me I couldnt but my guinea pig is in the same room in a seperate cage :cry: xxx

May I suggest that you do another thread giving the area you live and asking if anyone knows of a rabbit-savvy vet in your area.

The vet did not prescribe anything just said to stop giving her rabbit food and give her loads of hay to help her teeth. I live in Gillingham but the vets I went to was recomended to me xxx

:)

Took Cookie to a different vets today and the new vet said she does not have any signs of having myxi but to keep an eye on her. She has now had her myxi jab and in two weeks will be having her other one :) xxx

Back