• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Special Boy

Romily

Warren Scout
We have rehomed a rabbit who has a number of health needs. He is a gorgeous Nethie buck however he has a head tilt and has limited or no vision. We believe he has had these issues since birth however as a sensible precaution our vet is treating him for EC.

After a few days of not eating, with support and treatment from our vet, he is eating and is exploring his new home :love: . He loves cuddling up on my knee but is equally happy hopping around the hall and sniffing around the guinea pig cage.

Obviously we will follow the guidance of the vet regarding his health issues so my questions are really just info gathering at the moment. However I was wondering if anyone had successfully bonded a visually impaired rabbit before? He may not be able to undergo a neutering op however if he can and if it is in any way possible we would like to find him a lady friend :D

That's lovely! Well done you for taking on a special bun. I think the key with blind buns, as it is with people, is to keep evertything in his space in exactly the same place so he can learn where evrything is. I'm not sure about bonding him with a friend, but I should imagine a quiet older bun would be the way to go. Loads of luck!

Thank you for responding :D he is 3 years old so we didn't know if he would be better with a baby bunny :love:

Thank you for responding :D he is 3 years old so we didn't know if he would be better with a baby bunny :love:

I think a baby bunny would be binkying round and jumping over him, and as it matured it would mount him too. Not being able to see would make him feel vunerable, and he may even become agressive. Somebun who's already spayed and his age or older would be best.

Where do you live? There might be a rescue near you with the perfect girlie bun. Many rescues will even let you bring your bun to 'date', so they can choose their own friend.

I am in Scotland and it will be a while before we can consider a lady for him, there are a few rescues comfortably within travelling distance so fingers crossed if he gets the ok from the vet and can be neutered we will get him a lady friend :D

Back