• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suspected Pasteurella

My 7 Month old bunny has got the snuffles. Took him to the vets last Wednesday as he has very loud breathing like wheezing and sore eyes. However he hasnt been sneezing at all which is a symptom of Pasteurella?
Im not sure that is it pasteurella as he isnt sneezing? He does have very heavy breathing but only when he is resting or sleeping.
He is still eating, drinking, pooing and weeing properly but Im still very worried about him hes been on antibiotic Batyil for 4 days with 6 more days to follow of the treatment. Its not made a difference to his breathing or eyes so far which is making me concerned.
I just hate giving Batryil to him though, it just stresses him out further with the syringe and with stress being a reason for this disease potentially developing its certainly not helping at all :( is there any types of food I could put it on that he is likely to eat so I don't have to syringe anymore?

If it is Pasteurella I hear that the disease can never be eliminated but are the symptoms ever likely to disappear?

Thanks in advance for any help.

When I first got my bun there was no sneezing, and it came all of a sudden, however he did have runny eyes and he sounded very snotty.

Does your bun seem okay in himself? If your finding no success with the Baytril maybe take him back to the vets when the course is up and ask for other options. This is what I did when Baytril had no effect on Ben.

Baytril can also be put onto food such as pellets or even a small piece of fruit that your rabbit enjoys, they can find it very stressful taking antiobiotics orally.

Has your vet been prescribed your bun Bisolvon at all? Ben is on it at the moment, and it is a powder which you can either put into their water or onto food and it helps shifts the mucus which is making them all snotted up.

You could have a c&s test done to confirm what is causing the problem, that would possibly conform whether pasturella is the problem?

I hope this helps x

When I first got my bun there was no sneezing, and it came all of a sudden, however he did have runny eyes and he sounded very snotty.

Does your bun seem okay in himself? If your finding no success with the Baytril maybe take him back to the vets when the course is up and ask for other options. This is what I did when Baytril had no effect on Ben.

Baytril can also be put onto food such as pellets or even a small piece of fruit that your rabbit enjoys, they can find it very stressful taking antiobiotics orally.

Has your vet been prescribed your bun Bisolvon at all? Ben is on it at the moment, and it is a powder which you can either put into their water or onto food and it helps shifts the mucus which is making them all snotted up.

You could have a c&s test done to confirm what is causing the problem, that would possibly conform whether pasturella is the problem?

I hope this helps x

Thanks for your reply.
George does sound very similar to your Ben. I tried putting the antibiotic on some cut up carrot and cabbage but to no avail he wouldn't touch them :( so I'm not sure what else to try it on also I'm running out of the antibiotic fast so I don't want to waste any.

He seems fine in himself, hes happy enough except from the couple of hours after the stress of the syringe feed. The baytril isn't working at the moment so I would expect I will need to ask for another antibiotic in 5 days time when he finishes the course.

No my vet hasn't prescribed Bisolvon, I will definitely ask for that next time, sounds like it really does the trick. Is Ben reacting to it well?

I think the C&S option would be the one to take as well, just desperate to find something that will work for him.

I know exactly how you feel, been battling it nearly 2 years with ben!

Ben is reacting well to the bisolvon, but I have a feeling we will have to try another antibiotic as the septrin isn't up to much!

i would definatey reccommend a c and s test, with ben it confirmed it was pasturella causing the problem, and it can also tell you if the bacteria is sensitive to any antibiotics and which ones will work best.

ben is having to take antibiotics long term which means syringe feeding twice daily probably for the rest of his life, or at least long term.
Currently 2 syringes a day he is coping with, as he has got used to having the natibiotics orally.
My advice would be to perserver with putting the batril onto different foods and if not maybe try the syringe feeding again with someone holding your bun. There is a gap behind the incisors where the syringe end will fit snugly, try putting it there and slowly put the baytril in. Give your bun a big fuss and a treat afterwards! X

Back