• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Groups that have had to be separated

molly35

Mama Doe
I'm busy reading rabbiting on and I'm worried now as one of the articles would not recommend groups and says that most of them fail. Who has had a group that has had to split and who has had a group for a long period of time with no problems?

Please do remember that an article written is only about that persons personal experience of rabbits, if their experience was a bad one they will not be positive about that subject.

i think groups work if the rabbits personalitys get along well. i think very large groups of more than 10 bunnies for example can prove difficult not only in space and houseing issues but in making sure everyone is pooping and eating well monitoring can become an issue, i have a pair and a trio but am lucky they have slightly different shade poo ans size poo (theres something exciting lol) so i can keep an eye on that easily enough. also i think it depends on if the rabbits have any preexsisting medical conditions as that can be harder to manage. in terms of just a group which is usually around 3-6 bunnies in most cases then as long as thier personalitys are compatable then the bunnies live very happily in their warren-like groups xx

My group has been together over three years and as that time has gone on there have been various shifts, with buns lost :cry:, buns gained, neutering, and changes in friendship groups. But the colony as a whole has remained stable. A couple of fallings out but nothing major - fingers crossed it stays that way! :wave:

ETA I take Bunlover's point about the challenges of monitoring but would argue that in some ways it's easier with a big group who are all kept together - you simply watch for the odd one out! If I had a pair they'd both be the "odd one" ie different from the other bun, but if 15 are grazing and one isn't, that's the one you instantly focus on...

Last edited:
actually tinsel is a very good example of healthy happy bunnies in a large 10+ group! so i better eat my previous comment! :) having seen the pictures i always think ohhh id love my garden like that! :)

actually tinsel is a very good example of healthy happy bunnies in a large 10+ group! so i better eat my previous comment! :) having seen the pictures i always think ohhh id love my garden like that! :)

Oopsie cross posted my ETA! :wave: But you're right, it does have it's monitoring challenges - and also its medicating challenges if they're buns that don't like being picked up :?

I'm wondering about this too. I'd like to have a group at some point and I'm wondering what the chances are of it succeeding. You'd think the bigger the group the better because it would be similar to how wild rabbits live in colonies. I'm sure in the wild rabbits don't like certain other rabbits but they can make friends with other rabbits since they live in colonies.

My group has been together over three years and as that time has gone on there have been various shifts, with buns lost :cry:, buns gained, neutering, and changes in friendship groups. But the colony as a whole has remained stable. A couple of fallings out but nothing major - fingers crossed it stays that way! :wave:

How many are in your group?

I'm wondering about this too. I'd like to have a group at some point and I'm wondering what the chances are of it succeeding. You'd think the bigger the group the better because it would be similar to how wild rabbits live in colonies. I'm sure in the wild rabbits don't like certain other rabbits but they can make friends with other rabbits since they live in colonies.

How many are in your group?

Erm...over 15... :oops::oops::oops:

I think big groups can work, look at the wild: bunnies live in massive colonies! In some ways I think domestic rabbits have a better chance than wildies of a big colony because they're neutered so their hormones won't have such a massive impact on behaviour towards the other buns.

There are lots of happy groups on here. I think if the buns hit it off, bonding is done properly and you give them enough space then groups should be fine :)

There are lots of happy groups on here. I think if the buns hit it off, bonding is done properly and you give them enough space then groups should be fine :)

I think some people who attempt groups and have failed group bondings don't do the bonding properly. I think people have to expect to be spending a long time on the initial phases of bonding with a big group, it requires a lot of patience which I think is where some people fall down and which may lead to there being a higher failure rate with big groups.

Of course somebuns just click and it's easy but if I were bonding a big group I'd need to ensure I had A LOT of time off whatever I was doing to oversee the bonding which could take a very long time.

I have a group of 4 that have been together just about a year now with no scuffles at all since bonding.:D Touch wood it continues like this.:D

I think that a lot of the time it depends why you are adding to the group (i.e. does it work and is it best for the bunnies in it) and how they are kept as to how successful something is.

I have had four trios with no divorces but I matched them carefully. The longest have been together since April 2008.

That said, I had a quad who divorced and that was down to Candyfloss and her blindness and had I realised at the time she was blind and, as a result, had the behavioural problems she does, I would never have bonded her in.

I have several foursomes (5 foursomes), and then also a six - but they are young siblings, and a threesome.

All the foursomes are fine - except one which is a fairly recent grouping and we may have to remove the single girly as she is being far too bossy (the males are all nervy ones).

TBH I would not have put her in but its that or on her own as she has already had fisticuffs with the partner she came in with,(long story - basically dumped on me) and another partner we tried her with so we thought we would give her one last try at living with others

dont want to rehome her as she has had so much upheaval. .

but back to the original question . . I see no reason why groups should break donw - just be aware that as with any relationship its dynamics fluctuate over time.

I have had a group of 5/6 before, but it is complicated, and you do have to be prepared to seperate if it is not good for all the buns involved. I had to seperated a few times due to health problems, bullying and the like. Sophie has always been a dominant bun, however at the minute she is at the bottom. Charlies death caused problems and he was often peace keeper.

As has been said before you need to know your buns, and what is right for them, you need to have the space to keep them as a group comfortably and the space to seperate them without reducing the rabbits lifestyle if the group doesn't get on. And remember, it might not be just a case of seperating into two groups, it could be three or four depending on the size of your group. I ended up with one group of 6 in two singles and two pairs for a while, due to illness in the two singles which required them to be inside during winter, and the dynamic changing, so spliting the remaining group.

Personally I wouldn't take on x bun cos I wanted another bun ( although I have done in the past), or a certain breed has come up in rescue, and in the even of a death I look at the group dynamic before considering another one.

On the positive side, its fantastic watching a group of buns graze, and interact with each other, seeing how the group dynamic works, changes and evolves. And snuggles :love::love: big group pile ons :love::love: and being charged at by the group cos they know you have treats. Wouldn't change all that for the world, and hoping to get back to that point soon :)

I have a group of 4.. they fell out once very early on in the bond - I think it was my fault! so they went back for bonding and have been fine ever since. They have been together almost a year. It can work - depends very much on the buns. My girls were very temperamental to start with - the boys were fine!

I have had 2 trios, one failed after 3 months, the other after 3 weeks :( Two of the buns were in both trios and they got on well even though they weren't the established pair. I really think it depends on personalities :)

I've had a two groups of four that have turned into a trio twice now unfortunately through losing a bun :( they have never had a problem. My recent four adored eachother before Dreamer left, they were upset he'd gone and a little unsettled but now they seem closer than ever.

I have a group of 7 and a trio, although 2 of my boys (ironically the only 2 buns I have that are related) seem to hate each other... so I am going to have to remove one of them and bond him into the 3. They have been a group for about 3-4 months now, and while it was not the easiest of bonds to start with they have settled nicely (apart from Patch and Dexter, who are fine most of the time but then will have a fight :roll:) I love my group of 7 and one day all of them will be together in a group of 10 :love: (just have to find somewhere neutral and big enough to do it, and a fgew stiff drinks first!! :lol:)

Back