• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Off to the stables in a minute..u/d apologies from the yard owner

catxx

Mama Doe
At my mum's, so we're going for a hack from her local stables, a nice one through the Cotswolds. "But why is this in rabbit chat?" you ask?

The stable owner has a couple of homemade hutches next to the portakabin office, a 4ft one with some Guineas and a 6ft one with a rabbit. No runs and outdoors. The last time I was there I saw this poor rabbit, with pee stained feet, too obese to be able to get its paws past its dewlap to clean its face, she tried so hard to do it, but just couldn't :( it was heartbreaking! I wanted to say something, and if she's still in the same state I will have a quiet word with my mum. Last I was there they had a "baby rabbits for sale" notice pinned up in the office too - I wondered if this big fat bun was their mum.

Last edited:
Well that was depressing! Great ride, lots of lovely healthy horses, but that poor rabbit (in with a Guinea, of course) on a filthy bed of straw, overflowing bowls of muesli, not a scrap of hay in sight (it's a horse stables, over 50 horses, no excuses for lack of hay!). Must have been almost an inch of muck in that dark dank thing :(

Sadly no one in the office to whinge at so I have sent a polite email, including a link to the "hutch is not enough" video.

Will get my mum to update on it, even though she thinks rabbits are silly pets :roll:

Windwhistle are probably the nearest rescue to here. Will send them a PM, see if they've got any horse riders in their midst who could go over there on the rouse of hacking/lessons and have a word about the rabbit while they're there!

Windwhistle are on here aren't they? What's the username?!

Thinking about it, I swear the rabbit I saw today was a different rabbit to the one I saw back in May. This was was a creamy coloured seal point and not too fat. The one I saw last time I swear was black and white with a huge dewlap :shock:

can you drop off some leaflets about bunny care to the stable owners and say i can see you love your animals as you have such wonderful horses but couldnt help but notice your bunny wasnt being kept as to what is now the norm, wondered if these may be of use! i know its not because you mean to be neglectful just a case of not knowing ..... this way you dont come accross to pushy. and gives them a chance to read in own time and make changes?? x

can you drop off some leaflets about bunny care to the stable owners and say i can see you love your animals as you have such wonderful horses but couldnt help but notice your bunny wasnt being kept as to what is now the norm, wondered if these may be of use! i know its not because you mean to be neglectful just a case of not knowing ..... this way you dont come accross to pushy. and gives them a chance to read in own time and make changes?? x

I have said pretty much this in an email and will see if they come back. Yes it was the hutch is not enough video. Will see if they respond to email before I consider bombarding them! They are nice people, but very busy with their equines (and tons of kids at the moment because of summer holidays). Bullying them would have the opposite effect I think!

Hello,

No, sorry, none of my friends over that way go to stables. I have a few who live at Nailsworth but they are not the type who would be able to cope with managing something like this without getting so distressed that they would burst into tears.

I always think a representative of the RWA is needed in situations such as this. They would be able to approach with some sort of conceived authority explaining their visit is the result of a complaint. Is it worth asking if they have someone in the area?

You need to consider the possibility that the owners may then decide it is too much hassle and they just want rid of the poor bunny, and where would she go then? We would not want her to go out of the frying pan so to speak. To be honest, I would probably squeeze her in, now I have read this I will not be able to take her off my mind. But, this can be the downside of sorting things out. I don't like to put a damper on things, and I really hope you will continue to try and help this rabbit, we must not give up because the big picture is too hard to focus.

Please let us know how you get on and I really hope they take notice of your advice, well done for trying in the first place!

I had an email back from the yard owner, who is a chatty lady and actually quite nice, she was very apologetic that she hadn't seen the state the hutch had got into and usually the yard helpers (of which there are MANY, summer holiday pony days, they also do riding for the disabled, they are a large stables!) are good at keeping them clean. So hopefully they will have got a good clean out now. Mum will probably be back there on Friday and I'll get her to have a look and update me on their conditions now!

I agree, hardy RWA representatives in place around the country to pop round and scout and have words with places would definitely be useful! Ones would wouldn't lose their rag with owners or burst into tears!

I think I know the stables you mean as I went there looking for hay earlier in the year and saw the 2 hutches. :( They were clean then but no evidence of anything other than shavings in them. I asked them if they "really" wanted the rabbit, but they weren't interested in discussing anything with me. I probably spoke up rather than thought out my strategy first. :oops:
I told them how essential hay was though!
Well done and Good luck - I hope you get a better response.

Last edited:
Back