• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poorly-sick Hazel. :(

casu consulto

Mama Doe
Out of all my rabbits I'd honestly have placed Hazel as the least likely to ever suffer anything like stasis... She's always, always been the least fussy, least complicated one of the bunch. She's usually a little hay munching machine and does a huuuge amount of golden, perfectly rounded poos out the other end.

She was kept in at the vets most of yesterday due to not having eaten much over night - she had eaten a little corriander and a bramble leaf. The vet thought that she was having a heavy moult and might just be feeling a little run down and that might have led to it, but she seemed optimistic. We collected her in the evening and came home with pain meds and stuff to keep her gut moving and were told she had been eating hay. She looked less frowny on her return home (she has a definite frowny look when she is worried) but she was certainly not 'better'.

Over night she has not eaten anything - that we can tell - but she has now done perhaps 12 or so small, dark poos? I'm guessing that will be as a result of what she ate yesterday, so she is now 'empty'. I'm relieved stuff IS going through because after Barney died of a blockage I'm now living in some sort of dread of that... She's mildly interested in food, she'll sniff it! She just won't eat it. She's also a lot more willing to move more today.. and she's less gurgly.

Oh! And the vet said it isn't her teeth. :( I don't like it when any of my furry family is sick...

Is she having fluid therapy, subcutaneous aswell as oral ?

Fluids are an absolute essential for treating GI Stasis even if the Rabbit is not systemically dehydrated.

If she is not having SQ fluids I'd call the Vet and request that they are given. In cases of GI stasis fluid is rapidly absorbed from the guts and so any ingesta will become dehydrated making it more difficult to move through. Impacted matter will just sit where it is. Rehydrating the guts aswell as good pain control and appropriate prokinetics are the essentials in the treatment of GI Stasis

Sending get well vibes for Hazel xx

Sending loads of vibes for Hazel. Sub cut fluids really helped Mulberry when she had suspected discomfort from over grooming during moult...

She did have fluids yesterday when she stayed at the vets for most of the day. She'll drink from a bowl (and gets water all over her chin and then tries to bite me when I attempt to blot it dry again...) but isn't keen on a water bottle right now. Considering she hasn't eaten much at all in a day now she's remarkably stroppy and strong still!

My local vets who I can walk to are pretty hopeless. They never have the same vet in there and the last one admitted she knew nothing about rabbits. So we've been using another which is two buses or one taxi journey away... Hazel HATED the taxi and let us know it. :oops: But I don't trust my local vets at all, so the only option is the one further away. I'm keeping an eye on her for the next hour or so -- at the moment she seems to want to rest. The other bunnies are all resting too, so I'm not sure if she's just acting as she should or not.

Back