• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Redness around eye

NightBlade

New Kit
Hi,
a few minutes ago I was checking up on my bunny and found one of his eyes has an odd redness around it, and it's a bit wet. The other eye looks normal. Here's a pic of the affected eye and the normal one:
OwGMvl.jpg

ZBQyAl.jpg

I'm making a trip to the vet tomorrow as soon as I'm able, is this something I should be concerned about? To my recollection, he hasn't been around any chemicals, but he's been shedding so the hair in his house keeps piling up. Could that be the cause? Also, should I clean his eye with some soft fabric soaked in water?
Any advice appreciated, I recently lost a bun to unknown reasons (lived in my girlfriend's house so no relation, he was fine one day and gone the other) and I don't think I can take more pain so soon. :(

It is probably just the start of conjunctivitis as it is only one eye. Without a proper examination it is impossible to say for certain though. So a Vet check is definitely needed today. There are a variety of causes of conjunctivitis, some more serious than others. For example Myxomatosis can present with inflammation around the eyes, usually BOTH eyes though and the ears/lips and genitals become inflamed too. Hopefully your Rabbit just has a mild infection which will clear up after a course of antibiotic eye treatment.

Good luck

Back