• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recues- Donation Differences

Starlight

Warren Veteran
Do you think it is right that based on the type of bunny, that a donation should be higher? :?

Was just looking at Rabbit Rehome, and the rescue's standard adoption fee is £50

But then there is a giant, which they ask a donation of £60 and A "show winning bunny" is also £55, instead of the norm £50.

Standard adoption fee for a pair is £90, but then it says a £100 donation for a "pedigree standard bonded pair"

I can't fault the rescue in that they vacc, neuter, homecheck and everything necessary in that respect, but the donation differences do confuse me a little :?

Seems a little odd that a rescue would encourage showing of rescue buns. I personally don't agree with showing of rabbits as I'm yet to meet one who I think would cope well with that sort of environment. It is kinda giving the impression that it's fine to get a rescue bun then take it to a show.

I also agree with you that it's weird to charge different amounts. Maybe it can be argued that a Nethie spay is cheaper than a Conti spay so the donation my reflect that but very off to include pedigree stuff.

I don't know why they charge more but since the rabbits are spayed/neutered they can't be showed. I believe show rabbits (or show animals in general) aren't allowed be fixed for whatever stupid reason (they aren't eligible for showing if they are).

I guess maybe they charge more because if someone wants a pure bred breed its only fair they pay a little more? Its not really that much more so I wouldn't really mind myself if I were adopting one of them.

It's quite normal for dog/cat rescues to charge more for pedigrees isn't it? I have a feeling they normally do it to put people off from going to a rescue where they think they will get a 'cheap' pedigree animal.

I can't say I've ever heard the same in rabbit rescues but maybe the same logic is applying - it's to put people off from a knee-jerk reaction of wanting a trophy bun, and making sure they're committed to it by making them pay more? I'd hope that by saying a bun is 'show winning' that they're not encouraging the new owner to take it to shows, hopefully it's been neutered and its ring cut off!

As long as all buns are neutered/homechecked etc I don't see the problem, charging more for a giant seems to make sense I guess? Hey if they get higher donations and it doesn't effect rehoming good on them

It's quite normal for dog/cat rescues to charge more for pedigrees isn't it? I have a feeling they normally do it to put people off from going to a rescue where they think they will get a 'cheap' pedigree animal.

Really? I've never seen that. I've seen a sliding scale for age of dog but never breed.

Last edited:
Both of the rescues I work for charge a standard flat adoption fee regardless of breed, size or age.

I could understand a smaller rescue charging slightly more for a giant bun as the neuter costs are higher than for a standard 2-3kg rabbit, but I don't know any that do.

Really? I've never seen that. I've seen a sliding scale for age of dog but never breed.
I've not seen a sliding scale according to breed but they will often charge more for a pedigree rather than a mongrel or moggy (which I think is what Santa was also referring too).

Adoption fees are so low compared to the actual costs incurred with each bun rehomed that I don't blame them in a way for trying to justify charging a higher adoption fee for some bunnies. As long as they're all neutered, then the fact that they're show winning or pedigree is irrelevant really.

The rescue I used to work for ask £60 per rabbit regardless of size/breed etc which covers neutering and vaccs etc

I have seen in cats a hgher donation required for pedigrees than heinz 57 varieties. I have not seen any variation in donation request as a result of vet bills incurred. I have seen a small reduction in the suggested donation if people are looking to adopt a pair or a trio when compared to the single adoption charge.

However I do not have a problem with a rescue requesting more for a giant or a french lop than a normal sized bunny. If people are happy to pay that is fine, after all the majority of rescues make a loss on each animal they rehome.

the RSPCA branch where i adopted 3 of my bunnies from charge the same adoption fee for any rabbit, whatever sex/age/breed etc it is, it is £15 per bunny, which includes both myxi, and vhd jabs and in many cases the boys have already been neutered (and sometimes the girls have already been spayed too), as was the case of harry and frankie, and also includes a final vet check before you take them home, i donated a bit extra than the £15 as they always appreciate it if you donate more to cover their costs

I don't see a problem provided the rescue involved doesn't use this as a criteria for the bunnys they choose to help and admit to rescue.

I'd hate for a rescue to only take in rabbits likely to bring in higher donations e.g. large breeds/Frenchies/Giants or similar.

Personally I have a flat rate and it works perfectly fine as the cost to prepare a rabbit for rehoming is not dictated by the size/breed/pedigree, but more the quality of the care (or heredity) prior to their arrival.

Are you considering doing the same?

Personally I don't see the need to, and won't be doing this :)

It costs me the same to neuter and vacc regardless of breed/pedigree status, so no need to in my eyes!

Back