• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cutting rabbits nails

Alicia

Mama Doe
I'm a bit scared to cut Archie and Molly's nails. They run around on concrete for a hour or two once a week so I thought that would help their nails, but should I cut them too?

Personally,I keep nails the same length as the fur on the feet.
Just nipping the ends.
If you do find you nip a bit short and the nail bleeds,just dip in plain flour or bicarbonate of soda powder.xxx

Don't worry about them, just secure the rabbit, get a claw and push the fur away, find the vein and cut a bit above it. Generally if you don't cut past the fur you don't cut the quick, 6 of my rabbits have dark nails and I can't see their quicks (vein in the nail), so I just cut them to the length of the fur and I can't say I've ever had a rabbits nail bleed

I would get someone to hold one at a time, wrapped in a towel, sitting on a chair. Then kneel in front of them. I find this the easiest way :)

If you are scared you can always get the vet to do it, ours sometimes does it for free if we're paying for other consultations/vaccines/meds as well, otherwise its only £5.40 anyway.

Beware though, my vet trances them to cut their nails. I only get him to do them when the person I get to hold them isnt available, like at the moment when hes not here for months.

Back