• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping single rabbits outside

Alicia

Mama Doe
I don't mean for this thread to offend anyone or cause arguements, but what are your opinions of keeping single rabbits outside?

it's not really a good idea if a bun has to single it would be better as a housebun so it gets some interaction :D

just my opinion tho :D

I think it's ok, only if they get human interaction once or twice a day.
Rescues do it, and not all will have the facilities to accomodate all singles indoors.

I would never have a single outdoor bun, you just can't spend enough time with them to replace a partner. It is different in a rescue situation as it is only temporary.

I have done it in the past when I didn't know better. I personally would never do it again as I really do not think its fair. :wave:

I wouldn't do it personally as I know that I would never be able to give enough time to a single rabbit, in comparison to a bunny companion. Maybe some people will be able to be with them for many hours a day, but for most, it wouldn't be possible when a rabbit is outdoors.

I personally don't think it's fair on the rabbit. Rabbits are social creatures, and even with the best intentions in the world and the most dedicated effort at spending time with an outdoor bunny, it's never realistically going to top 4 hours company a day at most...and in reality for most people it's going to be maybe half an hour to an hour, especially in bad weather! So that means that a naturally social creature will be on its own for at best, 20 hours per day, at worst, nearly 23.5. So for the vast, vast majority of the time, the animal is going to be on its own. Visiting twice a day to feed, stroke and clean out just isn't anywhere near enough, IMO.

At least as a housebunny, the rabbit will get interaction when the owners are at home but not spending dedicated time with the rabbit - having breakfast, preparing dinner, watching TV in the evening, doing the ironing etc. It may not be perfect, but it provides the bun with a whole lot more company and interaction than being outside alone.

Yes, rescues might do it...but there it's a temporary thing with a better long term purpose. Most decent rescues won't rehome single rabbits to an outdoor home, for this very reason. It's one thing for it to be the case for maybe 6 months while the bun is at rescue, but it's another thing for that to be the case for an entire 7-10 year lifespan.

Last edited:
What would you think if a single rabbit could see other rabbits but for some reason couldn't live with them? So, if the hutches were next to/near each other?

What would you think if a single rabbit could see other rabbits but for some reason couldn't live with them? So, if the hutches were next to/near each other?

i would think that is ok not every bun will get along every bun has different personalities :)

I have a single outdoor rabbit. I know it's not far from ideal, but there are too may obstacles at the moment to me taking on a second rabbit. The longest time he has no contact is between my last check, normally about 11.30pm and his breakfast.

I don't think it's fair, hypocritical coming from me but after seeing how happy my trio are together (and how quickly they've forgotten me :roll: ), and how lonely Rory is by himself I could never stand to have a single rabbit again, so Rory is going to live with my other single bun (although her situation is a bit different, she practically is a house rabbit and lives with my grandma who's at home giving her attention all day) :love:

It's definately not ideal. I think if I HAD to have a single bun outdoors I would bring him/her in everyday for a few hours. This way they will at least get maybe 4 hours of interaction.

I think that, when it is possible, single bunnies should be kept indoors or (if the pair and single are suited to this arrangement) next to other bunnies.

If it is temporary it doesnt matter as much, and in rescue situations I think it is better to keep them single if they came in single if possible, as they will find homes quicker.

Last edited:

Hmm, they may get the interaction but it might just frustrate them if they either want to fight with said rabbit or want to be with said rabbit :(

I think situations will be different, I know some people who go a long way to spend lots of time with their outdoor bunnies and they will be happy with the interaction received. Those left all day alone though I don't think it's very fair, Beano used to be a single outdoor bun at one point and she is clearly happier with Gordon now. My bunny lodger (found as a stray) is staying indoors and he clearly enjoys the hours spent with him and being indoors, I think he would be depressed outside as a single bun.

I personally wouldn't keep a single bunny (indoors or outdoors) if I had no plans to bond in the future except in exceptional circumstances.

I don't mean for this to make anyone feel bad, as I've seen several people on here who have single buns and give them a great life, I just can't see animals on their own; I can't even keep Syrian hamsters and they can't stand company.

I have 2 singles living outside in sight and sound of each other, just won't live together. I am ok with them living outside under these circumstances.

In the past we had a single living outside and looking back I wish we had of brought him in.

I think it depends on the rabbit, some just won't bond. However it's something I would do everything in my power to limit and would bring in single bun if I could.

Back