• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit nail, has come off

scoobylou

Young Bun
My rabbits nail was missed when they were being trimmed and it has gone really long, so I think it broke slightly. So when I tried to cut it to make it smaller it has come off and started bleeding, I don't know whether it has broke off at the top or whether the entire nail has come off. Whats the best thing for me to do, the rabbit won't stand on its foot properly.

They do bleed a lot, if it's still going you can put pressure on the toe (gently pinch) to try and slow it or dipping in cornflour can help.

They usually grow back fine.

It may just be stinging a little bit at the moment but if he continues to not use it then pop to the vet for a once over an some painkiller.

It's not bleeding anymore, but I think the claw has literally come off. Whats the best way to clean it so it doesn't get an infection and do I need to go to the vets or will he be okey if its come off entirely.

Don't worry, even it the whole claw has come off it will still grow back. It's just like a person loosing a finger nail.

You can clean it with boiled water (left to cool) with a pinch of salt in, but it may already have scabbed over an sealed anyway.

You could call your vet for advice if you're not sure if it needs a trip in. They can't really do anything with it but may give a painkiller if he's uncomfortable.

Smudges nail came off a few months back after he and pancakes had a fight and know what you mean about the blood our kitchen was a blood bath! We applied pressure and the blood eased and took him to the vet the following day who cleaned it with antiseptic and gave him a jab which contained a pain killer. Smudges nail has never grown back but it doesn't hinder him!

Finx's nail came off once. There wasn't much blood just a patch on her foot, but I shut her in for a while to make sure she didn't do any more damage and watched her give it a very thorough clean herself. She did a good job and it grew back very quickly no problem.

Back