• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter

Alicia

Mama Doe
What can I use in the rabbits litter trays? I've been using woodshavings and hay but I know woodshavings aren't very good for rabbits, and someone suggested megazorb, but my Mum asked if normal cat litter is ok? I didn't think it was but I thought I'd check :)

Cat litter is not suitable for a rabbits litter tray:) you could use megazorb or P@H do a rabbit and small animal litter, which I tend to use with some staw on top:) I am going to try Carefresh though for my new rabbit as he tends to eat the wrong things. Hope he won't eat this:)

Last edited:
Not all cat litter is unsuitable, I think it is the clumping varieties you need to avoid

Bio-catolet is the best litter I have found, and I have used it for the rabbits and the cats. It's expensive though, I just use newspaper and hay now.

ETA: If using any kind of litter, you need to make sure that your bunnies aren't eating it, some bunnies do and some don't. If they are eating their litter, then even the suitable for bunnies kinds could cause a problem

Last edited:
Not all cat litter is unsuitable, I think it is the clumping varieties you need to avoid

Bio-catolet is the best litter I have found, and I have used it for the rabbits and the cats. It's expensive though, I just use newspaper and hay now.

ETA: If using any kind of litter, you need to make sure that your bunnies aren't eating it, some bunnies do and some don't. If they are eating their litter, then even the suitable for bunnies kinds could cause a problem

....and I suppose the ones which are scented:)

What can I use in the rabbits litter trays? I've been using woodshavings and hay but I know woodshavings aren't very good for rabbits, and someone suggested megazorb, but my Mum asked if normal cat litter is ok? I didn't think it was but I thought I'd check :)

I have purchased a recycled litter suitable for small animals including rabbits from Pets at Home, it didn't cost a fortune a few pound I think

Back