• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on the age of this Wild Bunny

jezzard

New Kit
Hi there,

As i posted I my intro (ages ago now, sorry) we have 4 wild bunnies that we have been raising.

As we do not want to take any chances on acquiring more rabbits the natural way, I need to get them sexed and if possible, have the boys snipped at the same time.

The vet has said that the boys can be snipped at about 13 weeks, but we only have a a telephone assessment of their ages when we got them (kind lady from the WildLife Haven in Thirsk who has been enormously helpful).

As I have been left on my own with them for the month, I don't want to have to struggle them down to the vets more that I have to so I would be grateful if someone more could take a look at the links below and let me know what age they think they were then.

Pics taken a few days after we got them:

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/jezzard1/DSC00855.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/jezzard1/DSC00857.jpg

thanks a lot

cheers

jezzard

To me those babies look about 3 weeks ish in those pictures. How long have you had them for?

Cheers Sky-O

pic would have been taken first week we had em so that would make them 11/12 weeks now.

@ bunlover

Cheers, thing is we don't know how many male/female we got. Don't think any balls yet but am on my own so very difficult to inspect properly. They are strong and lively little things! Can't afford unplanned pregnancies.

yours

jezzard

Yep, I'd agree with that.

Male can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop which is usually 12-16 weeks for domestic rabbits. However, wild rabbits mature more slowly so they may not get them that early. I had my wild rabbit neutered closer to the 10 month mark!

Oh no!

Daily checks for balls forever!

Maybe once sexed we will be less worried

maybe if no sign of balls then get the girls done at 16 weeksish

cheers

j

EDIT: Willl they try and mate as soon as?

Last edited:
Yep, getting the girls done would be a good option is the boys are slow. It might be they develop faster as they are in a group so more competition.

I've found that the wildies suck themselves right up and often they seem to only 'show themselves' when under GA- which can make it tough.

Maybe take them all for sexing and discussing a way forwards? They will need their vaccinations too so you could do all that at one time.

Ta Sky-O

Very economically challenged at the moment

were try to spread out cost and avoid pregnancy:

sexing/Boys snip
girls snip
vaccinate

j

Why don't you take all of them to vaccinate, for a large number you're likely to get a discount.

And your vet will sex them too, as its part of a health check.

The only thing you'll need to pay for are the vaccs.

And then book all of the boys for neutering you might get another discount for more than one neuters.

Then take all the girls for spaying. :)

Back