• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flopsy we have lost him? why sudden death?

pinkyblare

Alpha Buck
i dont understand we have two dwarf lops (not been on here for months so apologise) we had them May last year as babies and we have given them all their injections last year had myxi two weeks ago due to have vhd this next week and been well fed and looked after well, no sign of illness and Flopsy has passed away in the night i went to feed them this morning and open the bunny shed window as i always do and he was there dead and solid as a rock i cant believe it whats killed him he has been eating and pooping and having a fuss yesterday not been out for few days on garden cause weather been terrible here so i just dont understand why so sudden and he wasnt very old my poor Toto will be so lonley (do we get him another bun for company) i cant bear him being on his own without his brother in that big shed its just so awful i cant stop crying :(:cry:

also vet said unlikely VHD as would of seen some sign, possible fly strike but checked both their bums when found him and totally clean no sign of anything why why why i just dont get it he was taken too soon x

Last edited:
I am really sorry for your loss! :( Sleep well Flopsy! xx

My first thought would be vhd as it was sudden especially as he was not vaccinated yet.
Another possiblity is heart failure or a sudden scare in the night, maybe he heard a fox?

The only way to be sure would be to have a post mortum done on him, I understand if you can not do this, I dont think I could either but it would be the only way to get answers.

So sorry for your loss.

With an unexpected death you could get a post mortem done at the vets to find out why. But that's up to you, it could be any number of things and I'm sure it was out of your control. But to be on the safe side I would wait a couple of weeks before introducing another rabbit if you want a friend for Toto. Just to make sure it's nothing contagious.

So sorry for your loss.

With an unexpected death you could get a post mortem done at the vets to find out why. But that's up to you, it could be any number of things and I'm sure it was out of your control. But to be on the safe side I would wait a couple of weeks before introducing another rabbit if you want a friend for Toto. Just to make sure it's nothing contagious.

i am unsure what to do about introducing a new friend Flopsy was Totos brother they came from mummy together at 8 weeks and have never been apart even when Toto had Stasis i brought them both in dog cage in the house i have always taken them vets together etc for jabs, they we had them May time 2010 both neutered so do i introduce a female or male what age is the new bun best being a baby will Toto (who is a totally laid back bun who will let you pick him up) go aggressive? we have no-where to do the bonding do we just get one and see what happens and cross fingers but then what if they dont get on oh i dont know what to do? is bonding necessary with all rabbits?:?

i dont want to just replace him cold heartedly but i dont want Toto to be lonely to the point i keep going and sitting in the shed with him :cry:

I'm so sorry, rabbits are so fragile sometimes, especially little ones, it could have been anything. Even something frightening them can kill them. :(

Hi PinkBlare,

Just wanted to say so sorry for your loss. I lost my bun recently in similar circumstances and I understand how you feel. :cry:

Hi PinkBlare,

Just wanted to say so sorry for your loss. I lost my bun recently in similar circumstances and I understand how you feel. :cry:

soory for your loss also hun -

its so sad isnt it you never realise how much you get attached to them until they are taken from you, post mortem will cost approc £50 but DH wont agree to it cause it wont bring him back but i just have to accept he is gone.

thanks for all your kind words i feel so silly getting upset but cant help it my kids were upset but they quickly get over it dont they lucky for them

pinkyblare, don't feel silly for getting upset and don't think you will be cold-heartedly replacing him if this is what you choose to do. I have been heartbroken all week since losing Basil and I couldn't bear the empty space. You won't be replacing Flopsy just finding a little friend for Toto and this in turn will help to ease your pain. Hugs for you. x

pinkyblare, don't feel silly for getting upset and don't think you will be cold-heartedly replacing him if this is what you choose to do. I have been heartbroken all week since losing Basil and I couldn't bear the empty space. You won't be replacing Flopsy just finding a little friend for Toto and this in turn will help to ease your pain. Hugs for you. x

oh hun i am sorry for for your loss too its just awful how does your other bun seem to be coping i am sorry for my ignorance i notice two from your signature i agree it would be for Toto i cant bear him being alone out there is just not right i will replace him in time is that what you would do?

i need to catch on your posts so sorry xxxx

oh hun i am sorry for for your loss too its just awful how does your other bun seem to be coping i am sorry for my ignorance i notice two from your signature i agree it would be for Toto i cant bear him being alone out there is just not right i will replace him in time is that what you would do?

i need to catch on your posts so sorry xxxx

Oh please don't worry:) -I have been all over the place this week since Basil died. The other rabbit in my signature is Twinkle, my DH brought him home for me because I was so upset after Basil died on Monday. It was really strange at first because I felt that it was 'replacing' Basil and nothing can replace hiim, but this little one has helped to fill the empty space. He is so tiny and it has helped me to focus on something other than myself. So if you think you can do it and it's what you want, I see no reason why shouldn't consider a friend for Toto.:)

Back