• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very pooey bum :/

Loppy2

Warren Scout
Hi

My dwarf lop bun, has got a really bad bum at the moment. It is with loads of runny poo, stuck to him. I dont no why because his diet is Nuggets, hay, water, a treat sometimes. In the garden he eats plants and lupin leaves?

Thanks

please reply quick because hes very sad

Loppy2 Xx

What sort of nuggets and how many? Excel have been known to cause a dicky tummy

That said buns can go downhill v quickly and tend to hide pain so it is worth a quick trip to the vets for a check. If you arent able they will be able to clean him up. It might be worth asking about rearguard to prevent flystrike too

A clean up and a check up are in order in my opinion.

Rabbits can go downhill very quickly, a runny tummy quickly causing them to be dehydrated.

Lupin's are very poisonous to humans, I don't know for sure about rabbits but I certainly wouldn't let mine eat them.

A secure run on the grass would prevent him from eating any plants he shouldn't.

Yes, pretty sure lupins are toxic to rabbits.
As has already been said, rabbits go downhill so quickly, and I would advise getting him to the vet asap.

We have got a run but he does not like it.

They are excel nuggets shall we change?

We have cleaned him up, but he got his little bath and tipped it all over, and it went on him aswell. He is in the garden now, and im not letting him eat any plants, because we have blocked off the grass!

So defo take him to the vet? :/

We have got a run but he does not like it.

They are excel nuggets shall we change?

We have cleaned him up, but he got his little bath and tipped it all over, and it went on him aswell. He is in the garden now, and im not letting him eat any plants, because we have blocked off the grass!

So defo take him to the vet? :/

Yes, absolutely.

After he has been checked etc, then look at his diet. Perhaps he's having too many pellets. As you probably already know, an eggcupful is what is recommended, but you would need to cut down gradually; same applies if you choose to change his food - has to be done gradually.
I'm surprised he doesn't like going out in his run - is it attached to the shed, so he can go in and out as he wants?

He may not like his run but it will keep him safe from predators aswell as plants. Yes I would change from excel but you need to do it gradually over a few days. He should only be having a small handfull a day at most

no it is not attached. but he runs around the garden and the garden is middle sized. also just wondering if the buns are kept inside in the winter, will thye still get air?

Back