• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

India and Grace getting spayed

vickiemily

Young Bun
i am taking my two little girls India and Gracie to be spayed today and i am soooo nervous for them!!:( i am really worried about them, i have done all of the research and read up on spaying but i am still so, so anxious, especially two at once . i usually have boy bunnies and i was worried enough last time having one of my boys neutered, thankfully two of my other boys were already neutered by the rescue before we adopted them , i have never been through a female neutering before, so it is all new to me , and these are the first girl rabbits i have had since 2001 , i hope it all goes ok , please everyone keep everything crossed for them both! thanks!

Sending vibes!

I had my girls spayed a few months ago so I know just how you are feeling. The op went fine though and they recovered quickly. Apparently it can take Girls Longer to recover than boys so It's nice that they are going together, as they can help each other through the recovery :)

thank you for the well wishes but....they couldn't have it done on Friday after all!! the vets anaesthetic machine has broken!! so the operations were cancelled and i have rebooked them in for next friday! so brought 2 (very unimpressed )bunnies back home, but atleast i get to enjoy another week with them before the big day , something like that would only happen to me! :roll:

Gracie and India had their spay done on Friday, i worried all day about them until i could phone the Vet's to see how they were doing, they both came through the GA ok, and i brought them home yesterday, India seems fairly bright and perky considering, and has eaten a small amount of pellets and fresh food, and seems ok in herself at this stage, Gracie had me really worried yesterday as apart from one mouthful of hay, and a few bites of her greens , she wouldn't eat, and refused to and didn't seem too comfortable, so, back to the Vet's this morning for more metacam, they advised lots of tummy massages but i am nervous of doing this incase i hurt her scar/ tummy:? they are both drinking , but only if i hold the water bottle to their mouths, and have both done wees and poos , i will keep a very , very close eye on them and hope Grace picks up, back on Tuesday for check up , or tomorrow with Gracie if she still isn't eating, the Vet said no need to syringe feed her, i have a sachet of Critical Care in the cupboard from when Freddie needed it, any advice as to anything else i can do to aid their recovery and help keep them happy and comfortable , and anything else i can do to tempt Grace to eat, i have offered a wide range of fresh foods and she has eaten a few mouthfuls but equally don't want to overdo it with them and upset her tummy:?

Keep tempting with fresh herbs, veg, fenugreek crunchies, anything that you know that they really like. It is a really big operation for them, and it can take quite a few days before they fully get back to normal. One of my buns was soret of off for about a week after her op. If there's stuff going in and stuff coming out you're on the right track :thumb:

One of my bunnies was exceptionally thirsty, so maybe put a bowl where they can easily get to it, so they don't have to move too far. They might just want to be nice and quiet for a few days.

Good luck, let us know how they get on over the next few days! :wave:

thank you for the tips, we are now 5 days post op and both are doing well, so far, they had their post op check yesterday, all looking good, scars are clean and they had dissolvable stitches, they got the vet to chechk Grace's as it looked a little crusty but the vet assured us it is just the glue they had used?! back again Friday for more checks, they are both eating well, India has coped best so far, i guessed she may, she is the bigger and more robust of the two, Gracie is quite dainty, they are both being very, very good and coping well with taking it easy, what is the usual amount of time to wait before they can have normal excercise again please? i will ask when i go back for their next check up, just wondering what the general advice is?
in a few weeks i will book in my other doe for her spay and go through it all again

was slightly embarrassed when the vet nurse said one of the two bit her when they were staying after their ops!!:roll::oops: she couldn't remember which one it was!:?

Back