• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

telling same colour bunnies apart

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
the three black boys are getting bigger, but I can't tell them apart, two are quite close and are often together, but other than that, and the one who earlier had blue eyes that have turned grey, I can't thell the naughty bunnies apart!!

Any suggestions

IMG_4477.jpg

IMG_4495.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

People think my Boys are bad enough to tell apart, but at least they have different shades in their ears etc! :lol:

Hmm....I guess personality is the main thing when they're all black. I know Bensonlola can tell her 2 black buns apart because Lola's ears stick out more than Benson's. Perhaps there are little things like this you can look out for?

If they have lighter bits inside their ears you could use the food colouring trick to make marks to tell them apart on closer inspection.

Good luck!!!!

I have that problem with my lutino budgies so I dyed their tails different colors with food coloring. It worked great, except I kept forgetting to put more dye on when they were moulting :( Makes me sad I no longer know for sure who is who.

If you put a bit of food coloring on them be sure to add more when it starts going away.

With my twin girl fosters I put a dot of black marker in one of Rosie's ears. I knew who was who but it was foolproof if she needed to see the vet.

:lol::lol::lol:

People think my Boys are bad enough to tell apart, but at least they have different shades in their ears etc! :lol:

Hmm....I guess personality is the main thing when they're all black. I know Bensonlola can tell her 2 black buns apart because Lola's ears stick out more than Benson's. Perhaps there are little things like this you can look out for?

If they have lighter bits inside their ears you could use the food colouring trick to make marks to tell them apart on closer inspection.

Good luck!!!!

DSC01583.jpg

Ta daaa!!! One with sticky out earsies, one without!! Lola (sticky out ears), is also a little smaller. If they looked exactly the same I would still know - Lola is a very dainty bunny and Benson is very 'flat footed'. Also - Benson is nosey and follows me around sticking his nose in everything I'm doing. Lola watches and decides if she is interested or not! There will be differences - you just have to get to know them well!!

Lovely buns by the way - but then I'm bias!! :lol:

We can now only tell our Dopeys apart by who honks and who doesn't.

With them, when I need to tell them apart, I use a bit of food colouring. Maybe what you could do would be to shave a different patch on an ear of each of those bunnies?

:lol::lol:

I tried to give a non-myxi bun myxi meds the other day. They are both white lionheads with english spot markings, but one has white tips on her ears. Sugar was just looking at me warily while Rosie had run & hid:roll:

I'm by no means an expert as my buns couldn't look more different! But have you had a look at the underside of their ears? (the side where fur doesn't grow in the middle) Cinders is all black with no particularly recognisable markings ect, but I always think if she were lost and turned up somwhere I'd recognise her by the inner, furless part of her ear. She has some pigmenting on her skin in a particular pattern and a small patch where fur grown that in the middle of the skin part.
Might not be any any help to you, but just thought they may have little differences to that part of their ears, that you might not of noticed with yours being lops.

Last edited:
....And this is the reason I don't want buns who look the same! I'm only a simple-minded soul! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are there any markings underneath them that would help? :wave:

They're both gorgeous Mulberry lookalikes btw :love::love:

nail varnish? has any1 ever tried kitten collars on bunnies? lucky for my 2 girls both blue eyed white(1 is short haired other is very fluffy lol)

I think the best thing to do is just get to know them. I was the only person that could tell my Walnut and Cranberry appart, and I could tell them appart because they moved and reacted to little things slightly differently, they reacted to me slightly differently, and then after a while you can just tell, for no paticular reason, you can just look at them and you just know who is who.:love:

Or because they are black, they might have different browny patches, especially in the summer or when they are moulting, that was another thing that helped me with Walnut and Cranberry in the beginning.:D

Last edited:
nail varnish? has any1 ever tried kitten collars on bunnies? lucky for my 2 girls both blue eyed white(1 is short haired other is very fluffy lol)

collars are a no no for buns, so much could happen, all of it being bad. Please don't put collars on buns. Harnesses are seen as ok for supervised activities only, and shouldn't be used permenantly either

I think the best thing to do is just get to know them.

Im trying not to get to know them, as I would love a new home for them, they are part of an accidental litter who were born to one of my buns after a mix up with a newly adopted bun who the rescue said was neutered, and turned out to be not neutered.

If I get a new job soon then I would reconsider this put at the minute I couldn't afford it if they got sick etc. I have however been saving for their neuters.

Back