• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Possibly crazy idea

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone tried towels at the bottom of litter trays?

I'm considering using towels and then a few sheets of newspaper and then lots of hay in the lops tray. The amount of newspaper we get through it seems a bit wasteful and I have plenty of towels for the bunnies all currently not being used. Then I was thinking I could soak them and put them through a quick wash in the washing machine at the end of the week when I wash their litter trays out.

Yes, completely bonkers.... :p:lol::lol:

I did it for about a week and that was only because Alfie couldn't have hay in the litter tray after his leg was pinned. I found it too much of a faff tbh :oops: to consider doing it full time.

:lol: I'll probably end up thinking that but I think I'll try it, even just to say 'no it doesn't work' :lol:

I put them in their hutch for a while when they were insisting on peeing in there and found it such a pain in the **** rinsing them out, washing them and waiting for them to dry. I shut them out of the hutch in the end.

Fleece blankets might be worth trying though as they are easier to rinse and dry quicker. I've been considering using those instead of aubiose in their trays to cut down the waste.

I put them in their hutch for a while when they were insisting on peeing in there and found it such a pain in the **** rinsing them out, washing them and waiting for them to dry. I shut them out of the hutch in the end.

Fleece blankets might be worth trying though as they are easier to rinse and dry quicker. I've been considering using those instead of aubiose in their trays to cut down the waste.

That's interesting, when I wash their blankies they always dry quickly. I have plenty of old towels so waiting for them to soak and dry is not a problem.

Just had a thought, the water they'd been soaking in would make awesome plant feed. :lol::lol::lol:

I've done this when I've run out of litter! And accidently when the carrier their 'bed' was suddenly deemed to be a litter tray.

I found blankets STUNK, but towels were okay. Getting the hay off them was a nightmare though and it was gross to empty. Once I had gotten most of the hay off I just put them in the washing machine, cleaned them fine, didnt have to presoak or anything. I found the wee went through the blankets, but the towels absorbed it. Mind you my Barney pees like a racehorse so yours may not be soaked like mine were.

Yes.

When Mr JCB was at his worst.

That was just interesting! Towels then newspaper, then hay (sometimes even litter under the hay!).

Until he realised the towels were there :shock:

The mess, the chewed towels, the ingested towel :shock:

I tried towels with newspaper for a few months when I thought buying litter was all getting a bit wasteful. I soaked them in milton before doing a hot wash but the smell of soaking wee towels (even when covered and outside) was awful! And this was before it got so warm. The whole downstairs of the house smelled revolting whenever I washed them too :(

But by all means have a go, I hate being wasteful but this experiment proved a bit much for me ;)

I have guineapigs. I've tried everything when they're indoors - here is what my field research has revealed...

1 Towels will NOT be pleasant to wash! I know this!!!
2 They get soaking - I don't think you could ever have enough to change them>

3 Inco pads!!! With a fleece blanket on top - that's the way to go!!! :D

:wave: I'd stick to newspaper :wave: It may seem wasteful (I really do understand why you think that) but actually using the additional electricity & water for washing is more wasteful :)

That's true fluffers.

Nessar, my lops also pee for England :shock: my lionheads don't so I only need a few sheets of papers with them.

Back