• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

would you or wouldnt you?

hawkylops

Warren Scout
Hi basicly i had my dwarf lop doe neutered a few month ago, i also had another rabbit at the time but wasnt going to bond them together (i didnt think it would work to be honest) went out to feed one morning and pippa(neutered doe) had let angel(not neutered) out of her hutch and they wer playing happily and grooming each other, they have now been together a week or so now, but im wanting to add a english buck(iv wanted one for years) iv now found a neutered boy needing a home. but im in 2 minds weather to do it or not. what do u think? x

I wouldn't even think of it till your other rabbit is neutered and has had a good few weeks to let the hormones settle :)

I wouldn't even think of it till your other rabbit is neutered and has had a good few weeks to let the hormones settle :)

:thumb:

Even then you have to consider whether or not they are likely to work as a trio and whether it is best for them to have an additional friend. You also need to consider what you will do if the bonding does not work and what you will do if all three bunnies divorce each other and you end up with three singles (which is a possibility).

Now your pair have self-bonded you can't seperate them, and until your girlie is neutered you can't introduce somebun new. If I were you I'd ask the rescue to hold the lop for you for a couple of months. In the meantime get your girlie spayed ASAP and give it a few weeks to make sure her bond with your current boy will last. If it looks like they're still loved up you can think about introducing the new boy. Alternatively, you can keep your self-bonded pair as outside buns and have the new bunster as a house rabbit.

sadly my unneutered doe cannot be neutered just yet as only 5month old and my vets wont do it till after 6month old. im trying to weigh up the pro's and con's. pippa is so chilled out after her spay and angels always been a softie. if things dont work out with him i will be keeping him inside. x

as its such a new bond and one of them isnt neutered yet, i wouldnt even attempt to add a third as i would say the risk of it back firing is too great. to be honest you're really lucky that they bonded themselves, that could have so easily turned nasty.... why push your luck??? :wave:

Back