• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do with the rabbits

Alicia

Mama Doe
On the 25th August I get my GCSE results so I'm having a barbeque with some friends in my garden afterwards (I hope we all pass otherwise it won't be a very cheerful bbq!)

Because there's about 15 people coming round we're going to use a few of the small disposable bbqs, and I'm worried about the smoke from the bbqs being bad for the rabbits, and also the amount of people scaring them.
I'll ask all the people coming round to leave them alone and I'm sure they all will, but it may be a little bit noisy and I don't want to stress the rabbits out, but there's not really anywhere I can put them. I'm going to put my 2 guinea-pig hutches in the shed for the day, but the rabbits hutch wont fit and as they're not litter trained I don't really want the rabbits just hopping around in the shed. I could put them in a room in the house but I'd be worried about them and keep checking on them, though if that's best for them I'll do that. What do you think?

I think if it was me I'd put a pen in a room in the house, )with tarpaulin to protect the flooring!) and put the bunnies in there with their usual bowls etc to make them feel at home - then you can enjoy the barbeque without worrying about the smoke :)

Ok, I'll do that. The problem is I don't have a pen or anything to put them in, but I have got some grid panels which I could attach together but they can jump over them and I don't know how to build up. Does anyone know how to build up in an NIC (I think that's what they're called) cage?

Ok, I'll do that. The problem is I don't have a pen or anything to put them in, but I have got some grid panels which I could attach together but they can jump over them and I don't know how to build up. Does anyone know how to build up in an NIC (I think that's what they're called) cage?

Don't use the connectors, go and get cable ties and cable tie them together. Then, when you have two layers, just peg a sheet or something over the top.

I think bringing them in is smart. Mine are fine with people but dislike BBQ smoke a lot and that's only with one carefully positioned BBQ.

I have quite a few barbecues and the rabbits were a little nervous the first time but now they're not bothered.

I still have them outside but I set it up so they can't see the flames. Most of the smoke goes quite high and only a few breezes blow it over the hutch. I go and see them every now and then with treats and stoke them and talk to them and keep them calm. It depends what your rabbits are like, if they like attention etc. So if you can't bring them in (which might be the ideal) then you can keep them outside and keep them calm. :)

I don't know how my rabbits would be because they've never been around lots of people before, so I think it would be best to take them in, but I don't know if I'd be able to. If not, could I put them right down the end of the garden far away from the bbqs?

I stupidly had a house party when I was 17, had two buns and a piggie in the garden and it was really stressful!! Maybe my friends were :censored: but most of them didn't understand not to disturb them (my piggie was a sociable little thing but the buns weren't 'people' buns) and kept saying terrible things like that they'd put gin in the bottles!:evil:

No matter how nice your friends are, parties make people strange so I'd definitely put them somewhere where they won't be disturbed and then you can relax and enjoy your party.

x

When I had a New Year's Eve party I put up notices saying 'Do not pick up or feed the bunnies' and everything was fine.

I think if it was me I'd put a pen in a room in the house, )with tarpaulin to protect the flooring!) and put the bunnies in there with their usual bowls etc to make them feel at home - then you can enjoy the barbeque without worrying about the smoke :)

This.

I did this every evening for 2 weeks at one point. My dad decided to make his own incinerator and burn all his rubbish in the back garden without saying anything. :evil: Me and mum were running about after the rabbits while dad and my brother sat and watched us while toasting marshmellows. :roll:

I have a family of nine, so the rabbits are all well used to noise and kids shouting and screaming etc

I would just cover them over so they cnt see, unless you think your friends may fuss with them etc

I don't think my friends would fuss over the rabbits, and the rabbits are quite friendly anyway so I think they may just sit by the edge of the run waiting for some attention :lol: but I'm more worried about the noise and the smoke so I might bring them in :)

Back