• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbits washing off 'spot on! separate now but for how long?

:wave: Hello newbie here,,have 2 males ,,brothers had them since they were 6/7 weeks. They lived indoors until recently. I have booked them in for mixy and the other jab next week and i am saving to get them spade (think males are spade)
Anyhow noticed there was a flea on Pebble' who is a sandy kinda colour,,his brother is dark brown so I guess he has them too and i just cant see them, last month i was getting flea bites after grooming my bunnies so I used the flea spray and cleaned and disenfected the hutch and sprayed this stuff on that kills any fleas mites etc.
I bought 'beaphar anti parasite spot on' for rabbits and used it earlier,,we kept them apart as I didnt want them washing each other and ingesting this stuff,,,we kept them apart for a few hours, put them back tog and within minutes 'pebble had snuggle pinned down whilst he deeply washed snuggles neck!! ahhhhhh so we flew into action and separated them,,brought on inside, indoor hutch. how long shall i keep them separate? I am sooo worried they have ingested some of this stuff he wass licking him for ages before we could get them separate.
Any help and advice would be gratefully recieved! Am keeping snuggle inside for now till i am sure they will be ok tog,,anyhow he loves watching tv! esp cartoons with the kids,,both my bunnies love cartoons the best haha!

Hi and welcome to the forum! :wave:
Males are neutered, females are spade.
Please ensure that the myxomatosis and VHD vaccine are not administered less than 2 weeks apart.
It is vital that you see a 'rabbit savvy' vet to perform the operations on them.

Having never used the spot on you mentioned I can not really comment on it however I would imagine that as long as the product is dry then it should not cause too much trouble for them.

Hi thankyou for the welcome and advice,,I left them apart until the stuff was dry and they were fine.
Taking both tonight for a combined injection for myxy and vhd or whatever its called,,its £30.25 each rabbits injection but they will be both done at same time and protected which is the main thing! I hadnt heard of a combined injection before.

I asked if they will be ok afterward and she said they may be a bit subdued as its a first injection :-( awww i am soo nervous for them I cant go in i will either faint or cry like a baby!! My daughter (11) wants to go in with them!

They can't have both vaccinations on the same day. They have to be done two weeks apart. Please don't let the vets do them on the same day. Someone on twitter has had an ill bunny overnight due to her vets doing exactly this.

I've never heard of a combined injection :? Is it safe? I've always been told by my vets to leave 2 weeks between the two injections because it causes problems.

My matilda cleans off her flea spot on, drives me mad! i tend to put it on and them ply her with food and treats for awhile ha x

Hi first part of injection all done,,Mxyi one,,they called it a combined jab on phone but when i got there they explained u pay for both upfront as a combination but they are actually done 2 weeks apart so thats all good and as u all kindly advised.
Our 'boys' are actually girls hahaha!! No surprise as we always said 'Pebble' is way too pretty to be a boy!!! They get on great no fighting (yet) if that changes woll have to think about neutering.
They are sisters, Pebble is very very clever and slightly bonkers! She opens the run when its time to go in once we have inlocked it,,she puts things in place,,ball ontop of box or wooden bridge,,always first to feed and also looks after her sister.
Snuggle has had catarachs (sp) since we have had her, we suspected she was blind in one eye and the vet thinks so too, but she knows her way around things, and Pebble comes back and back for her to encourage her out of the run,,then Pebble leads the way to the hutch (sometimes after a merry dance in the opposite direction) but usually straight into the hutch,,sooo proud of my clever girl LOL
Snuggle is quieter and gentle not surprising with a blindness.
Vet said they are healthy lovely friendly rabbits so I am very happy, we had rabbits years ago but to my shame I knew very little and struggled with 2 small children & babies and there simply wasnt enough time. NOw we are keen to get it right, now the kids are older it means i can get them to help out each day, infact its the best part of our day!! cant wait to see them in the morning and get them out if its nice(or not covered over) I love to see the kids planning to cover the run so the grass drys (dew drops)underneath so they can then put the rabbits out for some exercise and stay out even if its raining!,
Kids love to make things for them to jump over,thru and chew..although I am not sure the child size garden tunnel they put in today is suitable!! its massive the rabbits just looked at us like we were mad!! Will put their normal tunnel back in tomorrow!!
& is too much tv bad for rabbits ??? hahaha as soon as we watch a film (fridays usually) in com the rabbits,,infact if its raining the kids bring the rabbits in for some tv and rabbit snacks and some grooming,,sometimes there is no room on couch for rabbits kids and blankets!
oops I have rambled on with much bunny love,,,sorry, it is nice to find this forum, I am grateful for any advice and comments, they are invaluable as its a learning curve thankyou!!!

Back