• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Very upset but think I may have to rehome my rabbits....can you help!! PLEASE READ

mimi g

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone

Im not sure if this is the correct section to post in.

I have 2 bonded rabbits – a blue&white harlequin male dwarf lop who is 2.5 years old called Norman and a blue female french lop who is 1 year old called Boo.

They have both previously been house rabbits but due ABIT OF skirting board damage in the house (rented house) and a possible move on the cards we moved them outside into a shed last autumn.

We have since relocated and sadly the shed was damaged in transit so they have been living in an indoor rabbit cage in the garage (which is 4x2 so to small).

However due to money troubles and new house I just do not have the money to be able to get them any new accommodation. I am going through a lot of stress and large life changes at the moment and do not feel that they are getting the time and the attention that they deserve…..I am literally running outside, feeding them as quick as possible and that’s it…no extra cuddles etc. I get very frustrated when I need to clean them out as I don’t have the time and am struggling with funds to pay for their food, litter etc and am starting to think that it would be best to find them a new home.
Although please let me stress, they are not left unfed or in dirty conditions, I do make the time to keep them in good condition even if it means cleaning late in the night.

I love them dearly and am devastated to be even thinking about this but it has been going on some months now and I think maybe it is time to put their needs first.

They are both beautiful rabbits who have never had any health issues. They are very loving – Boo doesn’t like to be picked up to much since she has got so large but loves to cuddle from the ground and be tickled, Norman is the same but will allow you to be pick him up…although he will get grumpy when you try and clean him out...he must like his own mess.
They are both litter trained although they will have the odd accident (mainly Boo as she is so large that she will sit in the litter tray and then go to the toilet over the edge). They also get very excited when you go to feed them and charge round your feet in circles.

Norman was neutered at about 6mths old but Boo has not been spayed. It was my intention to have her spayed at 6mths old but that is when I started to face issues with moving and money so I haven’t been able to do this. They both had their vaccinations towards the end of last year but I have been unable to pay for any boosters this year.

I have a collection of reptiles which I have already cut back to try and save money and time but it’s just not enough….its all been a very painful process.

Neither have really had much interaction with children and seem to prefer adults as we do have a young niece who they shy away from abit, although im sure a sensible child who spends time around them would be able to bring them around.
They are both capable of being indoor or outdoor rabbits and can come with litter trays, water bottle, bowls and what food and other equipment I have.
I have a young dog who is very good with them and they are not scared of him at all and will greet him at the wire.

My biggest concern is Norman as he seems very attached to me as he was my house rabbit for over a year (since he was 8weeks) and has a lot of trust . I feel like I would really be letting him down by parting with him but at the same time I feel I am letting him down at the minute anyway.

I have not posted on the forum much but in the past have spent time browsing.

I am looking for a rescue centre that will be able to take them in and provide all the necessary vaccination/spaying that I cannot afford and who has a top class rehoming policy – ie will homecheck and have minimum size accommodation rules. I do not want to sell them privately on a classifieds as I do not have the means to do house checks and know that someone will just end up taking them and using Boo as a breeding tool because of her breed and colour. I also don’t want them to end up stuck in the back of somebodies garden in an inadequate sized hutch being a childs pet that the child then gets bored of.

This is a really tough decision to make and im sorry for posting such a long email, but I wanted to give a true picture.

If anybody could PM me if they are able to help or can recommend a good rescue in the North of England it would be much appreciated….I am now relocated in Lancashire but often travel back to Leeds to see family and have my own transport. I do not want any freebie hunters but would be willing to offer a private rehome to a member who is obviously dedicated to their rabbits and can prove they would provide the best possible care.

Also do people think they would find new homes fairly easily? I would want them to stay together as they are bonded and lay cleaning each other and follow each other around. I would hate think they are sat in a rescue for the next 12mths though..

Here are some pictures when they lived in their shed...Boo has grown some more since this as she was 6mths in these piccies:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...d.php?t=257737

Many Thanks in Advance

A very sad Michelle

I can't help with rehoming, but I just wanted to say well done for making the heart rending decision. You've realised that the buns need more than you can provide for them at this moment in time and are being proactive to make llife better for them. I hope you can get sorted soon. It's all in a lifetime. :)

It would be better if you could get them spayed/vaccinated before you asked a rescue to take them on as really you should have budgeted for this before you got them and rescues are already under massive pressure right now due to the recession.

Also, is the 4 x 2 cage just a base in the garage? Do they have run space? If not this really isn't acceptable, even in the short term, for a French lop.

I'm also assuming the young dog is a new addition?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, this must have been a hard decision to make. I know what its like to experience such debilitating money problems and just how stressful it is.

Have you tried contacting rescues to see if they could go on a waiting list? A good rescue would at least be able to provide better accommodation for them, even if they do wait a while to be rehomed. Good luck xx

It would be better if you could get them spayed/vaccinated before you asked a rescue to take them on as really you should have budgeted for this before you got them and rescues are already under massive pressure right now due to the recession.

Also, is the 4 x 2 cage just a base in the garage? Do they have run space? If not this really isn't acceptable, even in the short term, for a French lop.

I'm also assuming the young dog is a new addition?

Thanks for being so unhelpful!!! The cage is a base...they did live is a 5x7 foot shed like in the piccies and my dog is almost 12mths old but still a puppy to me, so if you are trying to suggest I got the dog after I started to face money issue you are completely wrong or that I am rehoming them over the dog I am very offended.

I would love nothing better than to be able to walk in the vet and get them vaccinated and Boo spayed, money has never been an issue in the past and they have always received the best of care but getting made redundant unexpectedly is quite a shock and left me in a sticky situation. I am now working again but only just and have had to take a paycut as well.

Thanks for being so unhelpful!!! The cage is a base...they did live is a 5x7 foot shed like in the piccies and my dog is almost 12mths old but still a puppy to me, so if you are trying to suggest I got the dog after I started to face money issue you are completely wrong or that I am rehoming them over the dog I am very offended.

I would love nothing better than to be able to walk in the vet and get them vaccinated and Boo spayed, money has never been an issue in the past and they have always received the best of care but getting made redundant unexpectedly is quite a shock and left me in a sticky situation. I am now working again but only just and have had to take a paycut as well.

Wasn't trying to be unhelpful at all :)

I was advising what would be best for your rabbits and any potential rescue that would be taking them on. Those are my only concern. :)

All the best with your rehoming plans, you're obviously doing the right thing. :)

I think you are doing the right thing and its clear to me you care about them. I hope you can find a great home for them.

Thankyou for all the other replies so far!!

I appreciate those that have made suggestions and offered heart felt responses...this really is a horrible decision to make and something I am not 100% sure on so was looking for guidance and options, I am looking at ways to raise money by selling some of the reptile equipment I now have sitting around but second hand things dont bring much.

So sorry to read about your situation. I'm sure you want them to be with someone that can give them the attention they deserve.

Please have a look at Jane's link to see what you need to do to get them into the rehoming section.

I hope this turns out well for your lovely bunnies.

Obviously it goes without saying that rescues are under pressure and it would be better if they were vaccinated and boo was spayed because of the funds it will cost, however I do understand that money troubles are a contributing factory here, so if you could afford all those costs I just mentioned, you wouldnt be looking at rehoming them in the first place, i assume.

If you want to rehome them, then follow the link that Jane put up, or get in contact with a rescue.

It sounds like your money situation has taken you by shock as it seems you had much more money in the past, if you want to keep them it could be worth really cutting back on things and maybe getting some secondhand accomodation in the mean time while you get yourself sorted. Obviously vaccinations and spaying are a priority, however i wouldnt worry short term that they are not getting enough attention because they have each other, we arent talking about a lone rabbit here. My rabbits were left for 2 months at a time while I was at uni, and my mum looked after them, they were always clean, fed, and happy but they didnt get cuddles or me sat in their shed with them etc...but they were fine. So don't let them put you off keeping them, especially if it short term.

I hope everything works out

Obviously it goes without saying that rescues are under pressure and it would be better if they were vaccinated and boo was spayed because of the funds it will cost, however I do understand that money troubles are a contributing factory here, so if you could afford all those costs I just mentioned, you wouldnt be looking at rehoming them in the first place, i assume.

If you want to rehome them, then follow the link that Jane put up, or get in contact with a rescue.

It sounds like your money situation has taken you by shock as it seems you had much more money in the past, if you want to keep them it could be worth really cutting back on things and maybe getting some secondhand accomodation in the mean time while you get yourself sorted. Obviously vaccinations and spaying are a priority, however i wouldnt worry short term that they are not getting enough attention because they have each other, we arent talking about a lone rabbit here. My rabbits were left for 2 months at a time while I was at uni, and my mum looked after them, they were always clean, fed, and happy but they didnt get cuddles or me sat in their shed with them etc...but they were fine. So don't let them put you off keeping them, especially if it short term.

I hope everything works out

Yeh if I could scrap the money together to get the spay, vaccinations and a half decent new home together they would be staying and I would ride it out as long as I could hoping that I would get a break at some point and money would start to flow again :)

Again thanks very much for all the messages and its nice to hear that people think im doing the responsible thing. I understand that rescues are under alot of pressure and I never dreamed I would have to do this. But it seems that the rescue route is the most secure route to get them a proper rabbit loving home where the new owners will know what it is that rabbits require....not someone who walks in a petshop thinks theyare cute and doesnt have a clue what they need to have a happy life. Im gutted about the shed I spent a fortune on it and to get it all boarded out and put a wire door on. I may be able to give these boards and wire to the rescue/ new home if they will fit in the car and if they are of any use.

I have contacted the link provided. xx

Wow, I feel very sad after reading your post, what a hard decision you are making. :cry:

I wouldve jumped at the chance to offer a home to your buns but unfortunately this post is a few months too early. :(

I wish you all the best in whatever you decide.

Hugs to you xxxx

Back