• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits in need of rescue space/rehoming - Plymouth area

summerleaze

Warren Scout
http://www.hoperescue.org.uk/index.html

I have been contacted by Hope Rescue (a dog rescue) about rabbits in need of help in the Plymouth area (Devon).

If anyone is able to offer assistance in anyway please get in touch with the above rescue.

It seems that it's an older couple who have got into a muddle with sexing their rabbits and have found themsleves with too many to cope with - thankfully they are now seeking help. Sadly, there is very little help locally ( well actually there is none!)

The conditions are not ideal but there is no emergency welfare needs as far as I know. However, there are several pregnant bunnies and babies too.

Established rescues are preferred but offers of help with tranpsort etc may be useful too.

Just another muddly situation :cry:

Currently 35 but I don't think they want all of them rehomed - I think it's just a matter of sorting out the babies and pregnant ones.

No giants - lionheads and dwarfs I think. All this from their original two rabbits :cry:

Last edited:
Thanks for putting this post up for me :)

I'm going back tonight to pick up a couple more rabbits, i've managed to get hold of a couple of hutches for them.

It really is the tip of the iceberg though as some of the 35 rabbits there are already pregnant.

If anyone can think of any way to help I (and Hope) would be very grateful.

we can take 4 bunnies here if they can be got to us

Thankyou, could you PM me your phone number please and we can try to sort out transport.

Yvette, I am now covering the phone for Hope for the weekend if you would like to call again please :)

raine, we are Hope rescue that deal with dogs in council pounds. We offer life time back up for all the dogs we rehome ourselves but we just don't have the facilities to offer the same for small furries so we feel it would be unfair to offer them for rehoming through Hope, hence why we're looking for rescues who have all the procedures in place for rehoming.

The local RSPCA branch uses Woodside animal rescue to rehome their rabbits from, we've already tried Woodside and all of the other rescues in the area and they are all full.

I'll keep trying my contacts - sadly everywhere is so full and overflowing it seems.

Will be in touch hopefully soon.

Louise

Thankyou, could you PM me your phone number please and we can try to sort out transport.

Yvette, I am now covering the phone for Hope for the weekend if you would like to call again please :)

raine, we are Hope rescue that deal with dogs in council pounds. We offer life time back up for all the dogs we rehome ourselves but we just don't have the facilities to offer the same for small furries so we feel it would be unfair to offer them for rehoming through Hope, hence why we're looking for rescues who have all the procedures in place for rehoming.

The local RSPCA branch uses Woodside animal rescue to rehome their rabbits from, we've already tried Woodside and all of the other rescues in the area and they are all full.

Hope do a fantastic job with pound/stray dogs.

Might be worth contacting Animal Aid in Northampton. They were brilliant when we had to find places for the large Lymington bunny rescue and took bunnies in for us. I would suggest the Blue Cross at Burford, but I think they were helping with another recent large case.

Can the Plymouth RSPCA branch see if any other branches might be able to take some?

Ill see if I can think of anyone else you can contact.

Just bumping this thread up a little.

Hope Dog Rescue are doing an amazing job in helping these rabbits but still very many need rescue spaces.

The couple are going to keep three but with all the newborns this still means there are very many in need of help.

There seems very little help for piggies and bunnies here in the south west, sadly.

Just a little update -

So far we have managed to get 20 rabbits out.
I have taken all of the adults I can for a minute as the remaining rabbits all have litters so can't be moved yet.
I will go back in 2 - 3 weeks when the first litter is old enough to leave mum and take her and her babies. Then do the same when the other litters are old enough.

I estimate there are another 17 rabbits that need to be moved but won't know for sure until I know exactly how many are in each litter, for now we've done everything we can so we just have to sit and wait until we can move more :)

Thanks again for all your help :D

Back