• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Large outdoor enclosures

With six foot fences all round with chicken wire dug around the base. We get foxes around at night but the bunnies are locked into sheds.

If it's for wildies, I would consider under-meshed runs. The little :censored:s can get out of anything:roll::lol:

I hav a large run with chicken wire turned in one meter at the bottom and covered in rocks. I walk the perimeter once a day to make sure there are no burrows near the fence. They are alowd to burrow in the centre of the enclosure.

I hav a large run with chicken wire turned in one meter at the bottom and covered in rocks. I walk the perimeter once a day to make sure there are no burrows near the fence. They are alowd to burrow in the centre of the enclosure.

Sounds like they have a great area to run around in! :D
Is there chicken wire above ground too? If so you may want to change it too welded mesh as rabbit (and obviously foxes) can chew through it! :shock:

If it's for wildies, I would consider under-meshed runs. The little :censored:s can get out of anything:roll::lol:

Funny I posted that & got home to Bella being loose:roll:

First time she's escaped - I'd extended her home by another 4x10ft - all undermeshed, but she managed to get between the mesh & the mesh skirt on the playhouse & dug under the playhouse.:roll: Caught her way easier than I'd expected:roll: Least the garden is secure:roll:

I know of three only wild cross bunnies who managed, within a very short space of time (talking a couple of hours- having never shown any interest in it before), to dig down four feet, dig under the fence, dig up the other side, and escape out. That place had been secure for many rabbits, for absolutely ages and the wildies just dessimated it.

They will escape in ways you never even considered they might. They are complete houdinis and spaces for wildies, or wildie crosses need to be like fort knox.

I know of three only wild cross bunnies who managed, within a very short space of time (talking a couple of hours- having never shown any interest in it before), to dig down four feet, dig under the fence, dig up the other side, and escape out. That place had been secure for many rabbits, for absolutely ages and the wildies just dessimated it.

They will escape in ways you never even considered they might. They are complete houdinis and spaces for wildies, or wildie crosses need to be like fort knox.

You're so right: my half-wildie managed to dig down under the lawn to such an extent that it just collapsed. I've managed to contain him, now, by giving over to the bunnies what was my raised flower bed, with wire mesh on wooden stakes driven well below the surface - but even then I have to have it all replaced or repaired each year. He can now tunnel to his heart's content.

On the upside, he is extremely affectionate to me. On the downwide, he's possessive of me, the huge hutch and run, and anything edible - which does cause problems with my other 2 rabbits. He's almost 8 now and shows no sign of quietening down. He's certainly my very special bunny.

Back