• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

e.c rabbits can they be bonded to others?

missFloppyears

Warren Veteran
As title really.
poppet had e.c. I have just spoke to my vet who thinks it would be risky bonding her with zuma and pixel as she is an e.c carrier?

Is this right?

As title really.
poppet had e.c. I have just spoke to my vet who thinks it would be risky bonding her with zuma and pixel as she is an e.c carrier?

Is this right?

most rabbits are actually EC carriers, but never show symptoms.

Are Zuma/Pixel 100% healthy, no known health issues etc?

This is Bonnie and Harley. Bonnie had ec and was left with a head tilt. They have been bonded for a while with no problems. I just make sure I panacur regularly. :D

26072011083.jpg

I just do a 28 day panacur every 6 months. I have no evidence or anything to back that up, it's just what I do. Worth it though for her to have a friend and a normal life. Obviously I am very vigilant with these 2 for any signs that may be ec and would panacur anytime i was worried but this hasn't happened so far. :D

I rabbit with genuinely active EC will keep deteriorating and then bouncing and will likely not cope with bonding due to the stress on the immune system. It will likely make them iller.

A rabbit who is misdiagnosed with EC who may have 'just' had an infection or another reason behind their symptom, they shouldn't have a problem. I bonded Tilly (who was misdiagnosed with EC) quite happily with Roger and Summer with no problems at all.

Also, I never panacured. I don't see the point for EC because Fenbendazole has not been shown to be effective in genuine EC. In fact, the guy that I knew who researched it said, quite clearly, that it was not effective.

I think the main concern would be whether poppet's health could deteriorate due to bonding stress, but if you're vigilant during the process and be prepared to stop if needed I think it would be okay.

Our suspected EC bun Brownie continued to live with her bonded partner Willow throughout her illness and since. She has a permanent head tilt and Willow takes care of cleaning the bits she can't reach very well!

righty-o so if she is stressed (dont think she has a stress gene in her:lol:) then take her out of the bonding..

right well it will be a while off yet but i like to be very prepared, my bunnies are my only family (that i care about) and i dont want anybun to stress etc..

ill see how she fare's :)

Back