• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone else been thinking about winter?

This week ive been wondering when to get the snuggle safes back out and start putting bunny beds/carriers back into the playhouse!

Has anyone started to make alterations already?

Its only August, i cant believe our climate thesedays!!! :shock:

Yep, I'm awful for this :lol:

I've never had outdoor bunnies before (well, not since I was a child), and this year I have the fosters. I know I am going to be panicking about the cold :(. I'm sure bunnies cope better than I give them credit for, but when I remember those freezing nights last winter....:cry:

yeah i have...we have just moved my bonded pair into a wendy house and ive been trying to get ideas for keeping em warm when the snow comes.....good old british weather :D

i think it could still be a bit early.. we often get quite decent weather in september/october. plus if you start all that now, if we get another awful winter with the -8 and less degrees the bunnies won't feel the benefit of the warm things and snugglies.. i'd let them build up a good winter coat first.

it has been a **** summer.. if you are really concerened blankets/fleeces are om all year round, they don't have to use them do they?
i have a cardboard box stuffed with straw in the shed all year as well but i would hold back on the snuggle safes a while. :)

No, it usually doesn't get "cold" here till late November. :lol:

Thankfully- its most easier in the summer for both the pets and me. I don't like putting layers on when walking the dogs, or thinking 'i've got to wait till spring to do x' And in the winter my fish heaters have to run a lot and I always worry about my button quail getting cool, my room is in the low to high 60's in the winter and the buttons seem to find that a bit cool.

i think it could still be a bit early.. we often get quite decent weather in september/october. plus if you start all that now, if we get another awful winter with the -8 and less degrees the bunnies won't feel the benefit of the warm things and snugglies.. i'd let them build up a good winter coat first.

it has been a **** summer.. if you are really concerened blankets/fleeces are om all year round, they don't have to use them do they?
i have a cardboard box stuffed with straw in the shed all year as well but i would hold back on the snuggle safes a while. :)

Im a cruel mummy, mine only have a big litter tray with hay and a fleece on their top shelf! I guess its still warm, really, but i do worry! I guess ill see more threads like this popping up when its time to have a change around.

Theyre still moulting their winter coat now!! :lol: Marley has almost finished and Dollys suddenly become a hairy mess over the last 2 weeks, i got loads of hair off her yesterday!

I just cant believe how cold its been some days this week!

yeah i have...we have just moved my bonded pair into a wendy house and ive been trying to get ideas for keeping em warm when the snow comes.....good old british weather :D

I actually think wendy houses/sheds/playhouses are warmer than you think. I shacked up with the bunnies for a few hours when i was locked out! :lol:

I think a few fleeces, snugglesafes and a nice wooden hidey house/box should be fine. I just worry about locks freezing over again!

It's been like Winter here for the last few days, torrential rain and yesterday it was blowing a gale, think at this rate I will be putting the heating on :)

It's been like Winter here for the last few days, torrential rain and yesterday it was blowing a gale, think at this rate I will be putting the heating on :)

Its been the same here, today its awful!

I dont think the heating will be going on for a while this year, even if we want it to :shock:

Oddly enough, I had all the outside hutches moved so we could cement down the slabs that they sit on to make it drier underneath them. When I was organising everything to put them back I have made sure the tarp is doubled over, holes patched with strong black tape, ready for winter!

It has been so wet here I am really glad! I haven't done anything about a warm snuggle place for them yet though. I want to wait until at least the start of October for that!

Let's face it, in the minus 8 weather are they sitting inside on the pile of straw and a snugglesafe? Nope, they are on the concrete in the run!!:roll:

Tarp.JPG

Tarp1.JPG

I'm worried about Spenser getting enough contact time and stimulation in the winter. I can have him in the conservatory for a bit, but to be honest his hutch will be warmer as it now has a thermal cover. I don't work in the summer so he's been pretty spoilt - I bring him in when it is too wet for him to go in the run. :oops:

Thank goodness for having a houserabbit! :D

I've got Spenser in my room this morning. He's emptied the bin twice, bless him. :love: If he was in his hutch he would just be sat fur-puddled and bored. Don't think I'd get much work done if he lived in there permanently.

Thank goodness for having a houserabbit! :D

i know! I fret about mine so much as it is, I think id have a nervous breakdown if they lived outside :oops:
To be honest I dont think buns can live outside here. The winters are too cold and constantly snowy, and the summers are too hot and the sun gets too intense.
I still have ice pods and snuggle safes for them :roll:

I've been thinking about winter, but not to do anything now, but to make sure all are protected if we get a horrid winter like last year.

I'm trying to add hutches or somethings onto everything (minus the enclosure) to give me a space to enclose them into if it gets horrible again.

I won't be using snugglesafes unless it goes down to freezing though. Their coats will keep them warm :)

Although, it's hard enough buying hay in the summer, let alone in the winter. I'm dreading having to find hay this winter.

Yes, I am seriously worried about winter this year after the last 2.
We have taken the first 2 weeks in September off to start preparing- have to wash horse rugs and get quite a few fixed- Pippin us a devil for breaking the straps on his and Cara only came with one winter outdoor one, so need to buy her another.
We hope to get the guinea pig housing built and then get the kennels ( for the rabbits) converted into indoor runs. Unfortunately they spent a large part of winter in the hutches because the snow was so deep and so cold we couldn't get them out.
We also need to get mire goat rugs and I will have to adjust the straps, so they fit the goats (we use dog rugs).I would also like to get rubber mats for the pens but unlikely to afford that this year.
We need to re-roof the chicken houses because the wind has blown off the felt and they will soon be leaking.
The list goes on and on, but we will wait until after the dog show before we really get concentrated on that, depending on what we raised it will depend on how many guinea pigs runs we can build, along with the open day money.:)

I've got Spenser in my room this morning. He's emptied the bin twice, bless him. :love: If he was in his hutch he would just be sat fur-puddled and bored. Don't think I'd get much work done if he lived in there permanently.

Remind me again why Spencer cant come in permenantly?

I never got any work done to begin with, but to a certain extent it helped when they were indoors because i could do what i had to do without worrying about them being cold outside.

Back