• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice request - keeping dogs and rabbits

peneltel

New Kit
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of getting a dog and want to find out what peoples experiences have been?

I have an indoor rabbit Tatty, from a rescue, approx 5 years old. She is playful and outgoing but can be a bit aggressive (mainly when she wants attention). She is hutched indoors most of the times when I go out but is allowed to be totally free range whenever there is someone home. She is generally brilliantly behaved and much loved.

I got Tat because I wanted a pet and couldn't give enough time to a dog - grew up with dogs and have always had terriers before.

Things have changed a bit and I am in a position where a dog could be added to the mix. I would favour a terrier, largely because I am used to them, think they are adorable and want something small.

Can people let me know there experiences of housing rabbits and dogs together? Ages of the animals, whether you think a pup or older dog would be better? Amount of supervision?

Tatty is lucky to have such freedom and wants to remain indoors and be my little friend but a dog would be a great addition.

Thanks xx

As a generalisation, terriers are probably not the best choice as they were originally bred to hunt small furry animals such as rabbits and these instincts can be very ingrained and hard to overcome.

To be honest I would be reluctant to advise on a more suitable breed choice as dogs and rabbits are predator and prey and it only takes a second for a rabbit to be injured or killed. Although you will read of exceptions where dogs and rabbits live happily together it is not advisable to ever leave them alone together. Your rabbit may even be seriously stressed by being able to see/hear/smell a dog in her territory, and this could be enough to make her ill.

A better option if you desire another pet would be to neuter your bunny and get another rabbit as a companion for her from a rescue.

If you absolutely have your heart set on a dog I would consider trying to find one in a rescue centre that has been brought up around smaller animals such as rabbits or cats and has shown no aggression, but make sure they are strictly supervised at all times xx

You should not keep dogs and rabbits together, regardless of what other people will say.

Dogs can kill rabbits with a single bite. Even if you THINK you know your dog, you will never know how they will react in every situation. Even if you THINK you can keep them apart, accidents do happen.

Stick to pets that don't kill each other in nature.

Any animal can kill another. A rabbit can easily kill a guinea pig on accident. Does that mean people shouldn't have rabbits and guinea pigs under one roof? Of course not. As a responsible owner you just have to make sure they do not interact with each other. SImple as that.

I have 5 dogs and indoor rabbits. I put up baby gates (Teddy the yorkie possibly wants to kill them and my lab might accidentally step on one). When they're free ranging in rooms where the dogs go I just make sure the dogs aren't around. Riley and my 2 maltese wouldn't hurt rabbits (all the same I do supervise) so I just lock Teddy and my lab in another room.

Yeah, terriers can be a hit and miss. My yorkie Riley is great with all animals but her brother Teddy possibly has a prey drive with small animals. I would say chihuahuas, maltese, and pomeranians are good choices :) A small dog is best since big ones could accidentally hurt a rabbit.

I was in the same situation as you - I had the rabbits first then got the dog. I think it can work well when you have the rabbits first.

I also have a terrier - he is a jack russel cross fox terrier. I got him when he was a small puppy and he now knows that the rabbits are the boss! For example, the other day he was having his leg chewed by one of my rabbits. The poor dog stood and stared at me because he knows he has to be gentle with them. He has never tried to harm them. When we are at home the house rabbit has free run of the house with the dog .... but when we are out Emily (house rabbit) is locked in her bedroom!

Yes, you certainly can keep rabbits and dogs.

Simply use common sense and vigilance.

I have 2 dogs.......a terrier and a whippet cross....... and a rabbit. All live happily together but I would never leave them alone, even though I trust them.

I have 2 greyhounds, and 3 rabbits. I am also a dog sitter/walker and have other people's dogs at my house all the time. The only dog I don't trust is the Border Collie, even though he has been around them since a pup, he is still obsessed with him.

I think there are many breeds better suited to living with rabbits, and sighthounds and terriers are not the best and require a LOT more work. If you are determined to get a terrier I would go with a pup which has been introduced to small furries before 8 weeks, or an adult that you know has lived with them.

It can work nicely, with some sensibility, never leaving them alone unsupervised.

Dogs can kill rabbits with a single bite. Even if you THINK you know your dog, you will never know how they will react in every situation. Even if you THINK you can keep them apart, accidents do happen.
I think that's a somewhat ridiculous thing to say. Dogs can easily kill children, does that mean people with children should never have dogs because they can't predict every situation and they can't guarantee their safety 100% of the time? No, we use common sense to assess the risk of a situation.

I foster dogs and often have no idea of their character, so I don't know how they'll be with the animals. I've not once had an incident where any of my rabbits have even nearly come to harm because I use common sense. I don't take the dogs anywhere near the rabbits until they know "sit", "wait" and "leave it", and I don't let them off the lead unless they show zero interest in the rabbits and chickens. They only get to go near the animals when they consistently listen to me and show more interest in things they are allowed to play with than the animals.

Op, I think you can keep dogs and bunnies but you will need to make some changes.
Either your bunny needs to go outside in secure housing where you can guarantee the dog won't get to her, or she needs her own room so you know you can keep them separate while giving her enough space.
In both of these cases you'd need to get her a friend as she won't be spending as much time with you.
Finding the right dog is very important and I personally would go for one from a rescue that you know is ok with small animals - dogs that have come from foster homes will be worth looking at as they have more of an idea of the dogs character in a real home setting.

Either your bunny needs to go outside in secure housing where you can guarantee the dog won't get to her, or she needs her own room so you know you can keep them separate while giving her enough space.

I don't think the bun necessarily needs her own room. the OP wants a small dog and you can easily use baby gates to prevent the dog from being able to get near the bun. For instance, a baby gate could be put in the doorway of a hallway and the bun could free range the hallway, that's something I do with mine. A room certainly wouldn't be bad though, but just an idea of an alternative.

Dogs and rabbits can be kept in the same house, however you do need to make some changes.

They should never meet, only by separation of wire or a door. Either put Tatty outside in the suitable hutch or shed with a bunny friend, or keep her indoors in her own room, or cage/hutch. Only when you are around and the dog is kept in a separate room should she be allowed to free range.

IMO I wouldn't keep an indoor rabbit with a dog, it's just too easy to leave a door open or for someone to open the wrong door and the dog and rabbit are in contact. Personally, I would keep the rabbits outdoors and have the dog indoors.

Not all dogs have a prey drive though. Many dogs are completely harmless. I've never had a problem with having indoor dogs and rabbits.

My dog gets on really well with the rabbits....

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMzgtMjAxMTA3MDItMDg1Mi5qcGc.jpg

My mum and dad have a westie, he is the softest, best natured dog I have ever known but I don't trust him with my bunnies, a terriers natural instinct can be too strong. I have a cat and she gets on with my buns great though so the arguement that prey and predator can't get on is flawed.

As others have said, go for a pup or a dog used to small furries.

I would also provide a room for bun where the doggy can't go though, like a safe haven, just in case x

Back