• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D: Me and my sister caught a stray bun!!

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Need advice asap please, my sister has just rang to say a black rabbit is in her front garden, she has seen it once before but then it ran away. I remember reading about black wildies, are there any round east yorkshire? Does anyone have a pic of one? I've asked her to send me a pic of it so firstly I can see if it is wild or domestic and is lost. Thankyou x

Last edited:
I think I saw a photo of a black wildie in a recent thread. Can't remember exactly, but I think it was one of Sky-O's threads. Maybe if you alter your thread title to include 'black wildie' you might might get more helpful responses.

Hi Liz,

Not sure about black wildies in your area. Can you ask the neighbours if they have lost a rabbit? Maybe put up a notice or two? A picture would be useful as you should have a better of its breed idea from that.

Thankyou both, she lives about 20 mins away from me. I told her I could go to her house if she needs any help but first to see if this bun is wild or not. Here's a pic she has sent me:

bun.jpg

I am thinking that doesn't look like a wild bun so domestic??

Hmmm, not sure Liz :? Hoping someone else will be along soon to give their opinion. Does your sister see other 'normal' looking wildies around?

In the meantime, is she able to provide some sort of shelter with a box of hay inside?

I have told her that, she doesn't have hay so I'm hoping my dad will take me to her house so I can provide her with some things. She's going to check the vets and notice board for any missing rabbit posters and if we are told the bun is domestic I said to try and catch it, keep it and search around for owners. I can provide hay/food/water bottle and spare cage for her in case. She doesn't want to try and catch it if it's wild but then doesn't want to leave it incase it's domestic, all houses round her area have dogs and she's worried about it. :(

Could look like my wildie. Could look like a domestic.

I think behaviour is more important than looks, like how fast he runs, how he moves, what his approach to people are, for example.

Just to add she lives in a town, with not many feilds. I have never seen a wild rabbit whilst staying at/visiting her house. Her back garden does back onto a graveyard though with trees etc where I guess rabbits could live.

I think he looks domestic, but then again I've never seen a black wildie. His ears look kind of unwildielike though. Whats his reaction to humans? :?

She says it was in her garden earlier and was hopping round whilst she was about but said it was skittish. She saw it climbing up her toddlers slide too, and by the way she described it it sounded domestic but I really don't know. My brother in law went out to see if he could put a shelter down or catch bun but it ran through the hedge to next door. :(

Maybe if someone sits quietly (perhaps with a bag to rattle, as if food) little one will be encouraged to come to them? If he is a wildie this will be less likely.

Just thinking because mine would not be able to resist the sound of dinner :lol:

Maybe if someone sits quietly (perhaps with a bag to rattle, as if food) little one will be encouraged to come to them? If he is a wildie this will be less likely.

Just thinking because mine would not be able to resist the sound of dinner :lol:

That only works if you find the right noise for the bunny and a noise the bunny knows.

Mine come to a particular noise that I make, but no other bunnies come to that noise because they don't know what it means.

Just rang my sister, she has never seen a wild rabbit where she lives. Bun hasn't been back yet but she first saw it earlier today (I've been out all day) and it has been hopping round and under their camper van while she's been in the garden, on the treadmill which makes noise that you can hear from outside but then if you try to approach it it will hide. :? I told her about a shelter and she's going to see if she can put something up, keep an eye out and if seen again tonight she's going to give me a ring so I can go and help trying to catch bun after seeing it's movement to check it's domestic. I feel really bad for bun being out there :cry:

Back