• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can i bring 2 new buns home from diff places in same carrier together on same day

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
The easiest way would be to go and pick up Digby from Manchester and put him in the new big pet carrier I've bought, then go and get Daisy (which is on the way back) and put her in the carrier with Digby...
Do you think this would work? Or would Digby claim the carrier as his territory in the 45 mins he would be in it alone? I don't know what to do! :?
Because when I get them home I want to put them in their new kennel together to start bonding... :wave:

Last edited:
I would use two carriers. Put bunny 1 in carrier 1, then put bunny 1 & 2 in carrier 2. If that makes sense! You'll need two anyway just in case all hell breaks loose and you need to separate.

I would use two carriers. Put bunny 1 in carrier 1, then put bunny 1 & 2 in carrier 2. If that makes sense! You'll need two anyway just in case all hell breaks loose and you need to separate.

Yeah that makes sense, but I've only got one big carrier! They're big bunnies... :?

If you're determined that you're going to start bonding on that very first day, then two separate carriers.

If you're determined that you're going to start bonding on that very first day, then two separate carriers.

Do you have to bond on the very first day ?

You could put two pens near each other with a bun in each.
For them to get used to each other, and settle in.

But I get why you want to bond on the first day, is it because of neutral territory ?

It's just that I'll only have the weekend to bond them, so I wanted as much time to supervise as possible. If I wait til the next day I'll only have one day :( don't know what to do now...

Then I think your plan is good :]

Are you going to be bonding in your house?
Then after they've settled in after 3 days, you're going to move them into the kennel - gradually increasing space?

It's just that I'll only have the weekend to bond them, so I wanted as much time to supervise as possible. If I wait til the next day I'll only have one day :( don't know what to do now...

The weekend won't be long enough to know if they are fully bonded or not. If often all 'kicks off' as they test the hierachry anytime from 24-48 hours, plus.

The minimum amount of time they need supervising is 72 hours.

Might there be an opportunity to 'start them off' at the place you are picking Daisy up from? The first rescue I used (admittedly, we're talking about 15 years ago) used to keep them for 2 hours and start them off, and then put them in one carrier for the new owner to take home - and by that point the car journey seemed to help with the bonding. It's risky, and not really ideal, especially if you're alone in the car (what would you do if they started fighting, for instance) but it might help to get the bond underway before you get home. Some buns get unsettled by being moved all the time though and that can hinder instead of help.

Is the new kennel outside? I personally would want to have the buns indoors under strict supervision for at least 48 hours before even thinking about moving them to a new kennel...and even then, it's probably too big and would need to be introduced gradually. Personally I wouldn't recommend leaving buns after 48 hours, I would suggest finding a time when you can take a couple of extra days off work (or work from home if that's possible in your job) to keep a close eye on them in those early days.

Good luck x

The weekend won't be long enough to know if they are fully bonded or not. If often all 'kicks off' as they test the hierachry anytime from 24-48 hours, plus.

The minimum amount of time they need supervising is 72 hours.

I agree with this. I think you need to get a second carrier get them home and get them settle and start bonding at a time when you can be around for a couple of days. How about the bank hol at the end of aug

Right, thanks guys, I'm going to have to have rethink :( i would like to take some holiday days from work so I can supervise for longer, but other people have already booked theirs. So what I might have to do is, the kennel is coming this weekend, so I can spend next week sorting that. Then get the bunnies next weekend and keep them separate until the following Saturday, then start bonding on the saturday morning of the bank hol, so I have 3 days...

Right, thanks guys, I'm going to have to have rethink :( i would like to take some holiday days from work so I can supervise for longer, but other people have already booked theirs. So what I might have to do is, the kennel is coming this weekend, so I can spend next week sorting that. Then get the bunnies next weekend and keep them separate until the following Saturday, then start bonding on the saturday morning of the bank hol, so I have 3 days...

That sound like a plan :D

Brian and Molly came home in the same carrier.

I took two, used one to take Molly there, and then the second carrier to bring them both back in.

I agree about the journey helping the bond, it certainly did with my two. They were bonded together at the rescue first.

Yes the kennel is outside, but I'm quite prepared to get wrapped up and bed down in there! I know they need constant supervision which is why I want to bond them myself :) I will pen off an area of it for bonding in :wave:

Might there be an opportunity to 'start them off' at the place you are picking Daisy up from? The first rescue I used (admittedly, we're talking about 15 years ago) used to keep them for 2 hours and start them off, and then put them in one carrier for the new owner to take home - and by that point the car journey seemed to help with the bonding. It's risky, and not really ideal, especially if you're alone in the car (what would you do if they started fighting, for instance) but it might help to get the bond underway before you get home. Some buns get unsettled by being moved all the time though and that can hinder instead of help.

Is the new kennel outside? I personally would want to have the buns indoors under strict supervision for at least 48 hours before even thinking about moving them to a new kennel...and even then, it's probably too big and would need to be introduced gradually. Personally I wouldn't recommend leaving buns after 48 hours, I would suggest finding a time when you can take a couple of extra days off work (or work from home if that's possible in your job) to keep a close eye on them in those early days.

Good luck x

And my OH has just agreed to take the Tuesday after the bank hol off work to watch them, so now we have 4 days! :D

Back