• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking after neighbours rabbits...off to the vets :(

I'm looking after my neighbors rabbits, went round there yesterday and noticed "Mr Bunny"'s eye looked sore and runny, my mum said to wait and see if it clears up but it hasn't so we're going to the vets today. Both his eyes look wet. :( Yesterday he wouldn't eat his food apart from a few spring greens. I don't know whether he's eating hay either. He's very timid but VERY overweight so it's probably strange that he's not eating due to his size. I thought maybe they only eat at night so kept the food in. Went over there this morning and some of the food has gone but that might have been fifi that ate it. She is his bonded partner, she ate lots of spring greens yesterday but didn't eat much of the other food. Problem is, they are fed a mix and they selective feed leaving ALL the pellets. :( So that's all that had gone this morning.

They don't eat hay when I am there so I don't know whether Mr Bunny eats it at all and I am worried there might be a problem with Mr Bunny's teeth. :( He is Mischief's older brother.... Mischief has dental problems..... his first symptoms were runny eyes..... gosh I hope Mr Bunny doesn't have the same. :(

But yeah we're off to the vets, fingers crossed it'll be ok. I've also took my large run round to the neighbours house so that Mr Bunny and Fifi can exercise a bit more, they love it and run laps! :) Their housing isn't too bad but not really big enough for them. They have a 5ft double hutch with an attached 4 x 4ft run and a 3ft hutch attached on the other end and they are allowed access to it at night and day. Last time I went round they were free ranging so they do get time out but not enough with Mr Bunny's weight. They usually get fed 2 massive scoops full of mix a day but I've started slowly reducing it because it's just too much. I will tell their owner this and I bet the vet will mention reducing his food because this bunny is obese. :(

Good luck at the vets, and with taking care of them. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. :wave:

Oh no! Lots of vibes for Mr Bunny! xxx

When your back from the vets we need lots of pictures of Mr Bunny and Fifi!:love:

Sounds like it's good in a way that this has happened whilst you are looking after him because he's going to get the right care and attention and if you can get him settled into a new eating routine before they get back then it'll be dead easy for them to carry it on rather than try and work it out for themselves.

i hope he's ok and something simple to sort out, let us know how you both get on at the vets :wave:

Good luck at the vets! Its always a stressful time looking after someone else's furries! You're doing the right thing, I would want someone to take mybabies to the vet if they were poorly when I was away. In fact Daisy would have died if XMissyXJXs mum hadnt taken Daisy to the vet as she went into stasis!!

I was looking after my friends rabbits last week and one pair dug out from their run and then out of the garden :shock::shock: I tried not to panic and they reappeared when they heard me clattering around and realised it was food time little rascals!!!

Good luck at the vets! Its always a stressful time looking after someone else's furries! You're doing the right thing, I would want someone to take mybabies to the vet if they were poorly when I was away. In fact Daisy would have died if XMissyXJXs mum hadnt taken Daisy to the vet as she went into stasis!!

I was looking after my friends rabbits last week and one pair dug out from their run and then out of the garden :shock::shock: I tried not to panic and they reappeared when they heard me clattering around and realised it was food time little rascals!!!

aww good job is was her looking after you buns then. :love:

Oh I think I would have had a panic attack if that happened to me. :oops: :lol: Glad they came back. :D

Back