• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed (lonely bunny)

Chesterx123

Young Bun
I was wondering if anyone could help...

I have a 7 month old netherland dwarf buck. He was neutered yesterday. He lives in the house in a cage that has plenty of space and has a lot of free time in the house and in a run outside. I just can't help worrying that he's lonely, after reading on here I know rabbits enjoy to live in pairs. I would love to get another rabbit as a wife, I was thinking a mini lop as that is a smalller rabbit too. Is it ok to introduce a baby to him or would he accept an older rabbit more? I know it's hard to tell until they meet but I don't want to buy a rabbit and if they don't get on have to separate them all the time. If it was a successful bond could they stay in the same cage overnight?

Sorry about all of the questions! I have also tried the local RSPCA which seems to be the only rabbit rescue in the area and they have nothing available , the majority there are very large males.

Whereabouts in the Country are you?

It would be advised to wait 6-8 weeks after his neutere for his hormones to die down. Also, if you are considering getting an intact girl, he can still impregnate her for up to 6 weeks after his neuter. That gives you time to put out your feelers. There are rescues on here that rehome nationally, equally, have you spoken to the RSPCA? It may be they have girls on the waiting list and could call them in once you have passed your home visit, for example.

I live in the Middlesbrough area. I don't expect to find a rabbit overnight and I understand it may take a long time before my current rabbit is recovered from his op. It's the bonding that worries me incase they don't get along. The RSPCA said they cannot let me know if anything comes available as the rabbits that are there need to be rehomed first and it stops people being interested in them.

Its more about whether he gets on with a particular rabbit, than their age/breed/size. I would suggest going to a rescue and explaining to them that you want a friend for him, but that you would not be able to keep the new rabbit if they didnt bond properly. Most rescues will be fine with this. That way, if it doesnt work out, you can return her to them and try another. Most rescues also spay their females, so this will make it an easier bond and they will be more likely to get along in the meantime.

If you want a baby, most rescues will have them as well. It is generally easier to bond a baby girl with a neutered buck, however as she gets older they may fall out due to hormones etc, before you get her neutered.

Whatever bunny you go for, I would definately go to a rescue that will allow you to try another bunny if the first doesnt work out, as some bunnies can be very fussy about their partners!

your rspca seem rubbish! personaly id ring around rescues that are a drivable distance a list can be found here : http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp(sory iv no clue where middlesbourough is!) and then maybe if they cant help look on rabbit rehome on here as many rescues will rehome country wide and can take a bunny back if the bond doesnt go ahead and work well obviously its ideal to speed date the bunnies but if this isnt possible then trying to find one to suit the personality of yours is best. you should wait at least 4 weeks for his hormones to die down and then try him with a neutered female i wouldnt go with a baby as you will then have to neuter that bunny as well. a rescue female would be best also they can team up the personalitys better, :) x

I live in the Middlesbrough area. I don't expect to find a rabbit overnight and I understand it may take a long time before my current rabbit is recovered from his op. It's the bonding that worries me incase they don't get along. The RSPCA said they cannot let me know if anything comes available as the rabbits that are there need to be rehomed first and it stops people being interested in them.

PARRT have a REW nethie girl in for rehoming, she is about 3 but is so friendly. they also have loads of others for rehoming. They will also take a rabbit back if the bond doesnt work and are north east based

here are just a few of the rescue centres in the UK, hope you can find something local on this list, but if not many rescues rehome nationally. Many wil do bonding for you, or you can take the bunny home and try yourself.

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

eta - sorry someone posted the same link as me at the same time :lol: great minds think alike!

Thank you! That's really helpful. I've been surprised by how few rescues there are in my area. A couple of months ago I was looking into volunteering in a rabbit rescue but didn't have any luck finding anything in the area. I'll wait a few weeks for elvis to recover andnhis hormones to settle and then read through all of the rehoming ads and hopefully something will come up!

Back