• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

when can I get all his essential treatments done?

jackandsally

Warren Scout
Apologies if this has already been asked but my phone won't allow me to use the search function. We've had Dylan two days almost he's about 14 weeks and we're just wondering when to take him for his jabs and op. Is it better to get one thing done before the other? Not sure how heavy he is yet but he's eating his hay and pellets well and drinking fine. Thanks all! :wave:

Hello hope Dylan is doing ok!:)

I think that vaccinations are done first - rabbits are vaccinated against Myxomatosis (from 6 weeks of age) and then two weeks later have their vaccination against VHD. (this vaccination can be done from 12-14 weeks).

Their are different types of vaccinations for VHD and one - cylap?(sp) has been known to cause reactions so it might be better to get Lapinject - I think that this is correct but other members might have more info.

Once he is around 4/5months and his bits are visible plus he is at least 1kg he can be neutered.

Hope this helps:)

Thank you! I'll get him booked in soon then. Yeah I'd read about the side effects so I'll ask the vets before hand which they use. Thanks again! He's doing good he's mainly pooing and weeing in his tray as well, quite a clean little bun so far but we'll see lol

No probs:)

Mine are all dotted around the house at the moment away from the horrible rain! :(

One is on the couch with me, another is flopped out on the floor and another is in their bedroom upstairs! :love:

Think that VHD is spread via bird droppings so don't know whether you will need to keep him inside until he has had his vaccinations?

:wave: I would get him booked in for his vaccinations ASAP - we're at high risk time of year for myxo and I've also heard of some cases of VHD around so it's better to be safe than sorry. He is old enough to have his vaccinations now, so the sooner the better. The vaccinations are given two weeks apart; there is only one variety of myxo jab available - but the vet should give 0.1ml of the vaccine into the skin (either in the base of the ear or by withdrawing the needle slightly from the main bit, so check that they are going to do it properly!

Honeybunny11 is right about the VHD ones - I would avoid cylap if you can. There are actually two other types available now - lapinject or anivac, both of these seem to result in fewer reactions than cylap, so check that your vet uses these or can get one of them in for you.

Two weeks after the VHD vaccine he will probably be ready to neuter, with boys it can be done as soon as their 'bits' drop, which is often around 12 weeks. So I would recommend getting the vet to look when he has his VHD jab and if he's ready you can book hiim in after that. I would advise waiting 2 weeks after the jab though, because otherwise there is a risk that his little body will have too much to cope with at one time and that the vaccine therefore won't be effective.

You might find that he becomes a bit naughtier with his toilet habits over the next few weeks as he starts to mature - so best get those vaccinations booked in ASAP so that he can be neutered in a month's time :)

Thanks for all the help. We're ringing up the vets tomorrow to see if we can get him in for his myxi in the afternoon. He's an indoor rabbit so won't have to change his set up really. He's been really friendly today and binkying just hope he forgives us for the vet trip lol he's currently snoozing behind the sofa.

Back