• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Proposed site for housebunny residence.... advice/comments very welcome!

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
So here's the room from both angles.....

DSC01693.jpg

DSC01694.jpg

Bunny provisions.....

DSC01696.jpg

DSC01738.jpg

Convenient access to bunny yard!

DSC01706.jpg

..... but they love their shed and run.... I'm wondering would it be fair on them to change a system that works very well for them.... :?

DSC01729.jpg

What do you all think - leave well enough alone? Or bunnyproof for the winter?

DSC01733.jpg

Sorry, I'm just admiring the bunnies. :love: I wouldn't mind Spenser being out in the winter so such if he had a shed and run rather than a hutch.

I'd say consider the wooden furniture, the corners of the walls and the sofa. They are all things I personally would want to bunny proof. Mischa has nibbled walls before but now ignores them, and Nutmeg and Smudge both chew on the real wood ottoman I have but they all leave the laminated chipboard alone.

Sorry, I'm just admiring the bunnies. :love: I wouldn't mind Spenser being out in the winter so such if he had a shed and run rather than a hutch.

They are very much at home there! I might put some heat in the shed this year. Perhaps even insulate the walls and let them stay where they are happy.

What about putting Spenser's hutch in the summerhouse this winter? Would that be feasible?

I'd say consider the wooden furniture, the corners of the walls and the sofa. They are all things I personally would want to bunny proof. Mischa has nibbled walls before but now ignores them, and Nutmeg and Smudge both chew on the real wood ottoman I have but they all leave the laminated chipboard alone.

What do you use? I was wondering if you can get some kind of clear plastic right angles or something for walls and edges of sofa? They don't seem to want to jump on the sofa (YET).

What do you use? I was wondering if you can get some kind of clear plastic right angles or something for walls and edges of sofa? They don't seem to want to jump on the sofa (YET).

You know those log things, that make kinda bridges? I used one of those for the wall, I've since taken it down as he's stopped showing interest in it. It's one of those things where they might ignore it, they might destroy it. I'm not sure what I would do with the furniture, that's a bit of a toughy. I kinda gave up with the ottoman and let them chew it. It's like a giant chew toy now. :roll:

Try them inside, it will be easier for you in the winter, and they wont get cold either. Its early in the year so try it for a month and see if they settle into it or not :)

Suggestions: change that litter tray, the corner one, as with nothing to clip on to if the bunny gets a bit excited when they jump out, I find they often rock, and sometimes fall over. Which isnt fun to clean up :lol:

I'd get something bigger so they can sit in it and munch at the same time, like they can do now in their shed because its covered in hay.

Just to be safe I'd check that that plant is safe if they eat it, as I know my Annabelle could jump that high, although Barney couldnt. Depends how athletic they are and how bored they get when you are out!

I would also get a large rug or put blankets down, so they have the option of getting off the slippy floor if they like. Probably best to get a washable rug.

Double check there isnt enough space by the fridge or washing machine for them to squeeze through.

Other than that I would say has the barrier got a door in it for you to get through? Because it it hasnt I can see it getting irritating for you longterm.

But yeah, just little things, you dont need to do any bunnyproofing really unless they decide to wee on/attack the sofa, in which case I would bunnyproof the sides with panels and then put a washable throw or two over it :)

Try them inside, it will be easier for you in the winter, and they wont get cold either. Its early in the year so try it for a month and see if they settle into it or not :)

Suggestions: change that litter tray, the corner one, as with nothing to clip on to if the bunny gets a bit excited when they jump out, I find they often rock, and sometimes fall over. Which isnt fun to clean up :lol:

I'd get something bigger so they can sit in it and munch at the same time, like they can do now in their shed because its covered in hay.

Just to be safe I'd check that that plant is safe if they eat it, as I know my Annabelle could jump that high, although Barney couldnt. Depends how athletic they are and how bored they get when you are out!

I would also get a large rug or put blankets down, so they have the option of getting off the slippy floor if they like. Probably best to get a washable rug.

Double check there isnt enough space by the fridge or washing machine for them to squeeze through.

Other than that I would say has the barrier got a door in it for you to get through? Because it it hasnt I can see it getting irritating for you longterm.

But yeah, just little things, you dont need to do any bunnyproofing really unless they decide to wee on/attack the sofa, in which case I would bunnyproof the sides with panels and then put a washable throw or two over it :)

Thanks for those suggestions! The barrier splits in the middle so it's not a problem and they do have larger corner litter trays with rubber feet on them. Hadn't thought of the rug, but I see the point there. And throws at the ready, just in case!!

You know those log things, that make kinda bridges? I used one of those for the wall, I've since taken it down as he's stopped showing interest in it. It's one of those things where they might ignore it, they might destroy it. I'm not sure what I would do with the furniture, that's a bit of a toughy. I kinda gave up with the ottoman and let them chew it. It's like a giant chew toy now. :roll:

Ah the wee log things - good idea. I have two walls that would need them!

Thanks everybody!! I'm letting them in to play and get accustomed with the set-up and this morning, because it was raining I closed the patio door and Lola didn't thump!! I have time to do this gradually, so that's what I'll do and take my cue from the buns. I need to work out how to rig up a waterbottle. Lola will drink from a bowl but not Benny.

I think that's a good idea. As for bottles, could you cable tie one to a chair leg? Maybe get one of those ezifilla ones which don't have to be removed to refill.

Could you put a water bottle through the barrier?

Hmm the barrier - it wobbles, but could be secured better on a hook and then the bottle wouldn't be too heavy. I'd like to put it somewhere private incase it would put them off using it out in the open.

Sorry can I just say that looks like an amazingly comfy shed! :love: :love: :love: I'd sleep in there quite happily! :lol:

Sorry can I just say that looks like an amazingly comfy shed! :love: :love: :love: I'd sleep in there quite happily! :lol:

That's what is making me stall about moving them in!! It would be purely for my convenience and feelings!! You should see it in winter - bunnies are knee deep in hay, shed and run!!

Thanks! :wave:

Back