• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay, Pellets and cecaels!

minilops79

Warren Scout
Ive had Snowball and Fudge for just over a week now and every morning when I go to clean out and feed them there are cecaels all over the shed. I am gradually changing them onto science selective so they have a small handful of rabbit royale mixed with about 12 junior science selective pellets morning and evening. This is gone in about 5 mins and Snowball seems to eat more than her fair share as Fudge is a bit slower (Is this normal to have one fast eater and one slow?) Should I be giving them more as they seem really hungry and are only 9 and 11 weeks old? Or should they be eating hay instead? The hay seems to be a bit hit and miss someties they will eat it but usually they have a pick and leave it! I feel like I am starving them :( Have been looking at trying the hay cakes or pro fibre pellets? Would either be a good idea? Sorry for all the questions I a just a bit confused as to what to do at the moment :?

Last edited:
Did they come to you eating the Rabbit Royal? I'm not sure but I think that baby bunnies can eat more pellets, but maybe someone with more experience than me will come along. Do you feed them much by way of fresh food?

They came to me on royale :) I have not given any veg but they have been eating lots of grass as they have access to the run all day. I am just worried as I have heard they shouldnt be leaving ceceals for ore than a couple of days.

Have we had this conversation before? :wave:

Theyve never had access to grass before.
Now they have it 24/7.
They're guts haven't adjusted to it.

:)

Ideally they should eat them all. When my two were little I was feeding unlimited pellets - bad idea - Lola had a very mucky bum and there were ceacals all over the place. It stopped when I reduced the pellets to an eggcup in the morning and an eggcup in the evening each. But get advice from someone else, as I'm no expert and that's just what worked for my buns. Also when I changed food I did it over a 2 week period, you're talking just a few of the different pellets a day then maybe 5 a few days later (reducing the other appropriately). But I really don't know! Someone more knowlegeable will come along. I do know that no matter what age the bunny - lots of hay nomming is very important and greens should be carefully and slowly introduced. Have you asked the vet?

They had the sample packs from hay4pets, hay experts and willow warren. I have a big bag of meadow hay from hay4pets left, they liked the grasses, oat and barley and western timothy from the hay experts but there expensive to buy big bags of for them to eat all the time. And they liked the timothy hay from the willow warren which is also expensive!

They had the sample packs from hay4pets, hay experts and willow warren. I have a big bag of meadow hay from hay4pets left, they liked the grasses, oat and barley and western timothy from the hay experts but there expensive to buy big bags of for them to eat all the time. And they liked the timothy hay from the willow warren which is also expensive!

you may have to just bite the bullet if they are fussy with hay - expensive hay is cheaper than dentals and the complications that can arise from dentals.

Did they like the Hay for Pets hay? That is the cheapest commercial hay I've found, if you get the biggest bags.

Have you tried horse baled hay? Its normally good quality and VERY cheap.

Also, if youve only had them a week you are changing their diet way too fast, I would have kept it the same for at least a week and then changed it very slowly.

Theyve had new pellets, and lots of rich grass introduced into their diet in a very short space of time, their tummies wont have had time to adjust properly.

Have we had this conversation before? :wave:

Theyve never had access to grass before.
Now they have it 24/7.
They're guts haven't adjusted to it.

:)

:wave: Do you think they are fine then and just adjusting still, shall I just keep doing what I am doing then? I am hoping that now there isnt really much grass left for them to eat they will eat hay more, going to put a pile in the run :)

:wave: Do you think they are fine then and just adjusting still, shall I just keep doing what I am doing then? I am hoping that now there isnt really much grass left for them to eat they will eat hay more, going to put a pile in the run :)

I'd personally not have them on grass at all right now, it's all been a bit quick and a shock for them, you can't expect much more.

And not that i want to scare you, a member here gave her new rabbit grass on its first few days and he nearly died as his gut couldnt' handle it.

you may have to just bite the bullet if they are fussy with hay - expensive hay is cheaper than dentals and the complications that can arise from dentals.

Did they like the Hay for Pets hay? That is the cheapest commercial hay I've found, if you get the biggest bags.

Have you tried horse baled hay? Its normally good quality and VERY cheap.

I buy a bale from Jolleys and they love it! It would last me about 6 or so weeks, but I use it for bedding, littertray, eating and everything!! And for two guinea pigs! They also like the Timothy hay from Pets at home.

Back