• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HVD - Cylap!

TriL1

Warren Scout
Hi, my bunny had her HVD injection last night (cylap). Gone out to give them their food this morning there is, the size of a two pence piece - hair loss with a bit of blood I can see!!! I shrieked, is this meant to happen??? My other rabbit had his HVD a while ago but was Lapinject and was completely fine. My bunny is eating but it dont look right, i've just phoned vet they open in 10 minutes, so will call back but just wanted any advice if anyone has had this before?:(

Unfortunately, you had the cylap vaccination, which is well known to have many side affects, inclusive of;

A limp
Scabbing at the infection site
Being off food for a couple of days (not good!)
Being very quiet

If you search the forum using the search feature, you'll find many people have had the same problem.

I would recommend taking him/her to the vet to just check out the wound.

There are quite a few reactions and side effects to Cylap.

This is the side effects sheet and it does mention hair loss... http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Pfizer_Limited/Cylap/-44936.html

ETA: Eep, I just read the bit at the bottom, no wonder my vet doesn't want to use Cylap or Lapinject :shock: For OP, there is a third vaccine Anivac, which my vet now uses, that doesn't contain mineral oil.

Last edited:
thank you for your quick replies. I phoned the vet and they said maybe she has been her hair out. When they have vaccinations it can sometimes be sore so they try to bite the effected area!!!!

He said if you are worried to bring her in or keep an eye on her. Think i'll go to my other vet next time for the lapinject had no probs with that!

I would suggest going to yoru vets and collecting some pain relief. If the rabbit has been so distressed by the pain that it has done that to itself then surely pain relief is the way forward.

I had three have Cylap on Monday (not my choice) and I dosed them all up with Metacam beforehand and also yesterday and will today and tomorrow too. We've not yet seen any negative effects from any of those vaccines. Hopefully keeping them dosed up will prevent that.

Back