• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Archie and Molly will be able to free range again soon!

Alicia

Mama Doe
I'm really excited about it :lol: We had building work done on the back of my house last year so since then there's been loads of building materials against the fence, which Archie and Molly used to hide behind when they were free ranging and it took me ages to catch them, and all the building things have started to be taken away now, so either this weekend or next weekend Archie and Molly can go out again. I can see now that where the building things were, there's a massive hole in the chicken wire that we put at the bottom of the fence to stop them going next door, so while me and Mum thought they were just sitting behind the building materials, they may have been hopping around my neighbours garden. I'm just so glad their dog was never out whilst Archie and Molly did that :shock:

Is there any way I can get them to go to me for when they're free ranging? I used to shake their food bowl but after a while they just ignored it.

Aww, there's nothing quite like watching bunnies explore in the garden!

I've managed to get Buzz to come to his name or a clicking/kissy noise (yes, my neighbours must think I'm nuts!) by giving him an apple or strawberry leaf everytime he came to me but then all he ever thinks of is his tummy! Now I just give him a well done scratch but sometimes I reinforce it with a treat. Woody will only come if he feels like it but often follows Buzz.

I think it depends on how much there is to browse on in the garden and how food-oreinted your bunnies are. If you just rustle a food bowl but don't reward they quickly learn to ignore you. This is a bit OTT but if you're interested have a look at B. F. Skinner's work on positive reinforcement, it's the basis of clicker training etc. :)

They used to be let out at the same time and fed as soon as they went back in their hutch and that worked for a while but now they've decided to just eat the grass in the garden instead of go back for food :lol: My Dad said he'll make a door in the side of their run so I can open and shut it and it might make it easier to get them to go back in :)

Barney comes to the kissy sound, sometimes at full pelt because most times I give him a fenugreek crunchie or part of one anyway. When its time to get back in his hutch/run he objects for about 2 mins by running in opposite direction then gives up and just walks in :D

Grass is always so tempting. Nom nom nom! :lol:

A door in the run sounds like a good idea, that way if they happen to conveniently hop in you can close it or you could gently shepherd them in the right direction!

Back