• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dirty Chin?

jeny

Warren Scout
Sometimes Hobbes gets a mucky chin, right underneath near his throat. His fur looks like it's crusty and is a wee bit yellow.

Is this something to worry about or him just being tardy with his cleaning skills?

He's eating well although he doesn't seem to be drinking an awful lot at the moment. Indy is going through half a bottle a day and he isn't going through a quarter :?

They've both been getting Timothy hay however this week I got a delivery of dust free hay. They've both taken a couple of days to get stuck into that but the stalky I've just put in is going down a treat. He drinks more when he's eaten too.

Does he drink from a bowl as well as a bottle? Does his fur get wet from drinking? If the fur is constantly wet, they can get a fungal problem there (happened to one of mine).

If it isn't something simple like that, I think teeth probably need to be checked out.

Does he drink from a bowl as well as a bottle? Does his fur get wet from drinking? If the fur is constantly wet, they can get a fungal problem there (happened to one of mine).

If it isn't something simple like that, I think teeth probably need to be checked out.

I was going to ask the same questions.
Pie drinks from a bowl and always have a damp chin (until mummy comes over and wipe it off!) :roll: :lol:

I would pop to the vet :wave: Mine had a sticky spot under his chin so the vet checked his teeth and turned out he had spurs which needed filing off! May not be that but worth checking out.

Mischa gets this, he's a bit of a messy eater, he has been ever since he had head tilt. Good idea to get it checked out.

Thanks to you all. I gave him a bowl last night to see if he'd drink some more but prior to that he only had a bottle. The patch isn't damp, it's slightly stiff to the touch. It happened before then went away. I'll get the vet to check his teeth on friday.

Thanks to you all. I gave him a bowl last night to see if he'd drink some more but prior to that he only had a bottle. The patch isn't damp, it's slightly stiff to the touch. It happened before then went away. I'll get the vet to check his teeth on friday.

Does it smell at all? One of my buns had something similar when I got her (she was old and the rescue was very up front about her issues) and it was put down to "wet dermatitis". I can't offer any advice as it seemed to clear up on it's own when she became happy and ate properly. Up until she came to me she was alone waiting for a suitable partner and was miserable and not eating properly.

Back