• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

think I'm off to the vets - possible stasis? Advice very welcome..

esupi

Warren Veteran
My little Truffle - got home from work to find her flopped out on the floor (she never does this) and she didn't run to meet us as usual, just laid where she was. When she moves, it's just a few steps, sometimes dragging her legs, then flops out again. She is not comfortable.

We have had this with her twice before, which is why I'm posting before taking her. The first time we took her to the vets, they said it was possibly EC, gave her a painkiller, and then when we got her home she was fine pretty much straight away. That was May 2010.

The second time was only a couple of months ago. This vet said probably stasis with unknown cause. Gave her metacam, a gut stimulant and an intestinal stimulant (I can't remember their names right now). She perked up within a few hours and was fine again.

Both times I whisked her straight off and didn't get any clear answers, so I'd like a bit more info to discuss with the vet this time.

I have just watched her have a little groom and sip some water, but now she's flopped out again poor little mite. She did let me rub her belly and seemed to like that even. I'd like to get to the bottom of this and try to stop it happening over and over, so any ideas would be very welcome.

Sorry she isn't right :(

I take it she isn't eating anything? Does she look like she is in pain? When my bun has a poorly tum, he starts 'tummy pressing' (pressing his tummy to the floor), and quickly grinds his teeth.

I would get her to a vet, which it sounds like you would anyway.

She has just started rooting around in her hay for the dried herbs she loves just as normal. But she doesn't look comfortable still (not easy to describe - I just know her!)

I don't want people to think badly of me, but I want to watch her for a little while before rushing her off to the vets as that's what I've done both times before and I've learnt nothing. I want to try to work it out.

I'm not sure if the flopping out is her version of pressing her tummy to the floor? She looks like any other flopped out rabbit but it's very unusual for her and she just doesn't look 'right'.

well - she seems to have perked up. She got up and ate a lot of hay, and is now pottering around looking almost normal again.
I will keep an eye on her through the night and keep fingers crossed.
Is it possible that just a little tummy rub could have set her right again?

Rudy has bouts that sound similar to Truffles'. He has what I believe is trapped gas which is painful enough for him to panic and shake. A couple of times I've chased him round and given him an hour or so before ringing the vets and he has come out of it like flicking a switch. One time I'd watched him for an hour, rung the vets and while I was getting the carrier he came begging at me :oops::oops: When I've got Rudy to the vets quickly there has either been nothing to show on examination and x-ray or a small amount of gas. The vet reckons he has a tight turn somewhere in his intestines that occasionally causes the gas to not pass normally.

Hope she goes on okay, it certainly sounds like she's feeling better now.

Rudy has bouts that sound similar to Truffles'. He has what I believe is trapped gas which is painful enough for him to panic and shake. A couple of times I've chased him round and given him an hour or so before ringing the vets and he has come out of it like flicking a switch. One time I'd watched him for an hour, rung the vets and while I was getting the carrier he came begging at me :oops::oops: When I've got Rudy to the vets quickly there has either been nothing to show on examination and x-ray or a small amount of gas. The vet reckons he has a tight turn somewhere in his intestines that occasionally causes the gas to not pass normally.

Hope she goes on okay, it certainly sounds like she's feeling better now.

That sounds very like what is happening here! Thanks so much for replying - it's good to know Truffle isn't the only one. :)
(btw - your old hutch is fab - thank you so much - currently temporarily housing the four the little pigs in my other thread...)

That sounds very like what is happening here! Thanks so much for replying - it's good to know Truffle isn't the only one. :)
(btw - your old hutch is fab - thank you so much - currently temporarily housing the four the little pigs in my other thread...)

Thanks. Re the hutch. Did I forget to give you the dividing piece for the hutch? I've found one that I think belongs that hutch.:oops::oops: If it is and you want it PM me your address and I'll post it - it will cost next to nothing to post as it's only a light piece of plywood.

Thanks. Re the hutch. Did I forget to give you the dividing piece for the hutch? I've found one that I think belongs that hutch.:oops::oops: If it is and you want it PM me your address and I'll post it - it will cost next to nothing to post as it's only a light piece of plywood.

Yes! But don't worry about it - I set OH to work making one :) He also carpeted the ramp and made a little door for the run so it's all good. Thanks though.

Yes! But don't worry about it - I set OH to work making one :) He also carpeted the ramp and made a little door for the run so it's all good. Thanks though.

Ah, sorry again. To be honest I never liked the divide that came with it, the arch is too big, in my opinion, so I'm sure the one your OH made is better anyway. :)

I hope Truffle is feeling a lot better today.

Back