• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advantage flea control

rachylou

Warren Veteran
As our cat Simba is treated with Programme flea control and he is an indoor cat we do not routinely treat him for fleas but as he is going in to have a dental done this week Mum wanted to make sure he would not come back with fleas after spending the day at the vets.
So my vet reccomended Advantage as this is also safe for rabbits and after the whole Frontline debarcal thought this would stop me worrying... It hasnt! :roll:
Simba was treated with Advantage last night about 10pm. He was on my Sisters bed while it was drying.
I have not touched him since it was applied and do not plan to until the 24 hours are up and have told hubby the same.
I am worried because my two only weigh 2.1kg and 2.5kg, not 4kg as stated on the packet when treating rabbits so how much of this product would they need to harm them?

It wont harm them,but you do need to get the correct packet for their weights.
Cat is ok to touch,I use this stuff all the time for my lot!!!xxxxxx

Isn't the cat one the same as the rabbit one? Which is for up to 4kg?

My rabbits are far smaller than yours (roughly around the 1.2 and 1.4 mark) and I would not be worrying about things like this- if it helps to know that.

In rabbits, no adverse clinical signs were seen using doses of up to 45 mg/kg body weight (4 times the therapeutic level) weekly for 4 consecutive weeks.

The above is from the datasheet, which I found here.

This means that they applied a very large dose directly to the rabbits (4 times over 4 weeks) and no harm came to them. If they can withstand a dose that large being applied to them, there is absolutely no danger from a small amount of it from contact with surfaces.

But my two are much smaller than the 4kg?

They will be fine. :) From my post above, the makers have tested using doses 4 times greater than recommended. Even if you had applied the cat treatment directly to your buns, they would only be receiving a dose that's twice the recommended amount. The amount they could pick up from indirect contact is negligible. :)

But my two are much smaller than the 4kg?

That's irrelevant. The fact is the product is safe for rabbits. If they touched something your cat had touched, or touched your cat or touched you who had touched your cat it would not harm them. Even if the product was applied to them, it would still be safe.

But you know all this. Rationally, you know all this.

Back